Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

disc0-dan at standard level
Default No start ... ? :o

Before we start car is a my99 with stock ECU and hardly any mods really, mild stuff exuast etc :

Well recently lost my licence so been starting the car speraticly in about 1 week blocks, and lettin the car run for a while, so that it keeps fresh... But none the less battary died, no biggy rite ?

anyhow long story short cousin needs to borrow the car, changed the radiator before i was gonna give it to him coz it was shot and didnt want him driving around with a dodge radiator. So the change was done NOOO PROBLEMS easy as. Then we jump started the car - car ran fine for 10 mins idled smooth as not a single problem. Then turned the car off ( to see if battery even held a charge ) then went to restart the car and NOTHING ! No drama thought battery was dead rite ... so went to jump start it again ... Now car wont start, car turns over but either isnt sparking or fuel delivery is a problem ( my assumptions ?? ) maybe even dead ecu through jump start ?? But ive jump started this car SOOOOOO many times so i dont see that being a problem ???

if any1 could shed some light or even any idea's i can try ?? Anything would be appreciated

( ps tried to remove spark plug lead to check spark but couldnt get to it, and wacked a new battery init and tried it but no good ) fkn boxter engine LOL ! love it but

Thanks guys

Dan

*** UPDATE *** lol

checked spark, car is sparking fine, my cousin found out the hard way ZAAAPP :P hahaha so that counts out ecu etc... and narrows it down to fuel delivery pretty much. Pressed a screw driver up againt the fuel tank and put my ear to the other end and had some1 turn the key and i couldnt hear the fuel pump prime. So almost posative thats it.

Last edited by disc0-dan; 06-05-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Habeeb88 at standard level

hey dan

I sort of had this problem with my other car. It is most likely just the battery. Take it out and go to super cheap auto or somewhere and get it tested. They can tell you if the battery is dead. If its not dead, or not enough volts to measure, just ask them if they can charge it over night ( should be free of charge ).

Im guessing you most likely need a new battery and just a tip if your not going to drive the car for a period of time, just disconnect the battery or even just the negative and reconnect it when you want to start it. Hopefully its nothing to big.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

i thought the same but i just bought a new battery as well and still same just turns over :S so really puzzled me... yea i usualy disconnect the battery but didnt this time dno why :S

but yea im puzzled ((
Old 04-05-2008, 11:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

maccar86 at standard level

alternator not charging the battery?

does not explain why its not starting with a new battery though, so ignore me haha
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

that thought crossed my mind for about 2 secs as well lol, but doesnt explain why it wont start with a charged battery or jump start :S
Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Could be a few reasons. IF its not sparking the starter motor could be roooooted. Coilpacks could be stuffed. Does the fuel pump prime? Also jump starting newer cars, i have always been told that you always run the risk of frying the ECU. How true this is im not sure but i would open the floor pan passenger side and look at your ECU. Make sure it looks alright.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

So it turns over (you can see your pulleys turning) but just doesnt fire?

unplug one of the spark leads from the coil pack, and hold it real close to the coil pack (say 5-10mm) and get someone to crank it. You should see/hear a spark jump across the air gap you've made on the spark lead.
Make sure you're fingers are out they way though, as spark bites hurt =)

If its sparking, its a fuel problem.
If no spark then it maybe a number of possibilities, the ecu you like you said, may unfortunately be the problem seeing as how instant the problem became. Other things like coil packs and the like break down over time.

Did you not unplug or bump any thing with all the jump starting?
And also do you have any type of immobiliser?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Sir AntiLag

foxey at standard level

Sounds stupid, but you don't have a blown fuse do you? I'd check them all.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Crank Angle Sensor Stuffed.

ie if you get spark, fuel pump primes, battery, spark ok but WRX still won't fire. its the crank sensor stuffed.

Ring up a Workshop - Phone a WRX friend and see if you can borrow one. Easy 5 min bolt in/out job.

Last edited by WRXTASY; 05-05-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

if the REF/SYNC (CAM/CRANK) is stuffed you wouldnt get spark.

Long live the WRC

Tags
start