Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   help drive shafts (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/19607-help-drive-shafts.html)

Phat STI 07-05-2008 11:42 PM

help drive shafts

heya i am putting a 98 STI drive train into a 99 forester .. fun times..:)

but i need some advice .. how do u take the front drive shafts outs ...

thank you

dtrally 08-05-2008 12:01 AM

Undo the 32mm nut on the outer end. Knock out the roll pin on the inner end. Undo the pinch bolt on the lower ball joint and swing the hub away and the shaft falls out.
Seriously, you plan on fitting a whole STi driveline into a Forester and you got stuck on that? You've got a long road ahead.

sirbazalot 08-05-2008 12:30 AM

scot you no beta than to ask dumb things like that do you want a hand with it bro

Elrico 08-05-2008 06:15 AM

Hey we live, we learn. Im stripping an engine and i used to get the 'Cam' and 'Crack' mixed up thinking the cam spun the rods (a while ago mind you)

muggz 08-05-2008 06:18 AM

Doug,
Its been done before with a certain Gt Foz running V5 Sti RA running gear.

PhatSTI: Just make sure you have a large bar to loosen the nut and to tighten it again.. they are usually fricken tight!

dtrally 08-05-2008 09:34 AM

Sure it can be done, and I'm all for having a go yourself. My suggestion was based on the complexity of such a conversion versus the relative simplicity of a driveshaft removal. If people underestimate the work involved they end up with a car that doesn't move for 2 years and ends up getting sold as an unfinished project for 2 grand.
PhatSTI, have you got a plan on how you intend to undertake the rest of this conversion?

Strubaru 08-05-2008 09:45 AM

i found it easier to just undo the bottom strut bolts, then the hub assembly will drop out towards you once you have tapped out the pins of the inner cv's (make sure you use a centrepunch the exact diameter of the pins when tapping them out or you'll stuff them - or use a screwdriver the exact dia with the end ground flat like i did) if you got an RA driveline your gonna love the dccd at 35/65 split in the foz (i have the same in my 99 gt)

Phat STI 08-05-2008 06:33 PM

thank you very much ur help will do wonders... umm yeah my time line is engine out this weekend and clean up engine bay .. then next weekend put engine in and hook every thing up .. and then take to sik em rex racing to make sure i have done it correctly...

RUSSGT 09-05-2008 08:03 AM

Well done Phat Sti. What did ya do to the original engine? Blew it up runnin 15 psi thru a bleed valve and fuel cut deffender?

chee 18-06-2008 02:08 PM

regarding this, do i need to replace the seals? or only replace them if they are broken?

and if i jack it up from the side that im removing the driveshaft from, can i get away with not draining teh gearbox fluid?