Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Broken engine mount (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/19719-broken-engine-mount.html)

greenie 12-05-2008 10:18 PM

Broken engine mount

Gday fellas broke an engine mount in my 03 STI has any one got some links to aftermarket stores selling stronger units or do we go for stock, not sure which one broke havent pulled it apart yet just wanna see whats available.
Steve

BALISTC 12-05-2008 10:34 PM

How did you break an engine mount?

Mister Two 12-05-2008 11:30 PM

Group N mounts from MRT. Cheaper than OEM. And stiffer rubber.

And Yeah... how did you "break" an engine mount. Ive heard of people making them go by doing lots of hard launches. Puts stress on them as the motor moves around on the launch.

greenie 13-05-2008 09:05 AM

Yeah you guessed right it broke under heavy launch, well didnt really think it was that heavy just pulling out across traffic in Mandurah turning right and felt alot of engine vibration through the steering wheel.It also locked the steering on until i backed off the throttle as the engine dropped back slightly and the steering knuckle bound with the heat shield on the up-pipe.
Im not familiar with the mounts on these cars as ive never pulled an engine out so as a machanic im basically diagnosing this is what it is but wont know everything until i take some bits off it and see.

Kato 13-05-2008 10:30 AM

Let me guess... Xforce exhaust?

nauli 13-05-2008 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=greenie]Yeah you guessed right it broke under heavy launch, well didnt really think it was that heavy just pulling out across traffic in Mandurah turning right and felt alot of engine vibration through the steering wheel.It also locked the steering on until i backed off the throttle as the engine dropped back slightly and the steering knuckle bound with the heat shield on the up-pipe.
Im not familiar with the mounts on these cars as ive never pulled an engine out so as a machanic im basically diagnosing this is what it is but wont know everything until i take some bits off it and see.[/QUOTE]
How do you know you broke the engine mount...did you have a close look?
My bet is that the up pipe heatshield has come loose and fouled the steering, that's all...this happened to me during the Classic Rally some years ago.
It's any easy fix with welding apparatus.
So check the engine mounts carefully before you rush off and start replacing them!

greenie 13-05-2008 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Let me guess... Xforce exhaust?[/QUOTE]

Standard Up Pipe custom turbo back
Steve

greenie 13-05-2008 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]How do you know you broke the engine mount...did you have a close look?
My bet is that the up pipe heatshield has come loose and fouled the steering, that's all...this happened to me during the Classic Rally some years ago.
It's any easy fix with welding apparatus.
So check the engine mounts carefully before you rush off and start replacing them![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up mate i will check that as i said i havent pulled anything apart yet and am just looking for answers regarding engine mounts.
I have to put it off the road at the moment anyway to fit new silicone hoses to cooling sys so will investigate the possible broken mount or loose exhaust shield when im doing this bit.
Cheers Steve

Kato 13-05-2008 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=greenie]Standard Up Pipe custom turbo back
Steve[/QUOTE]

Check that the dump pipe isn't hitting the steering column. If it is you will notice a little shiny patch.

Due to the larger diameter of the dump pipe, it only just fouls the steering column causing a lovely vibration through the steering wheel and a god awful noise when taking a corner.

This happened to me at MC and scared the living shit out of me. A quick bash with a hammer and all is fixed :)

astralex 13-05-2008 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Kato] A quick bash with a hammer and all is fixed :)[/QUOTE]

Is there nothing a hammer won't fix...