Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Advice - Did my Clutch and possibly gearbox (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/21233-advice-did-my-clutch-possibly-gearbox.html)

SuaVe 29-07-2008 04:37 PM

Advice - Did my Clutch and possibly gearbox

Hey team,

Last night I was driving on Hepburn ave on my way home from work and my Clutch or gearbox (Or maybe both?) decided to die, not 100% sure what it is at this stage.

Have being speaking to my mechanic I am getting it towed to a garage to have it looked at. He thinks it’s the clutch but said there’s a slight chance it could be the gearbox. If it is the clutch he recommended getting a performance clutch and a light/performance flywheel. He believes it will add around 15% more power?

Just wanted to know what your opinions are with the flywheel and other recommendations to get done while HOPEFULLY only my clutch gets replaced.

Thanks guys,

BALISTC 29-07-2008 04:44 PM

If your mechanic said that a performance clutch and light flywheel will add 15% more power, you'd better stop going to that mechanic....because his advice isn't worth 2 pinches of shit.

Kato 29-07-2008 04:44 PM

Well did you hear the tinkle tinkle of death noise? If not good chance the box is fine.

A good organic clutch with a lightened flywheel is a good combo. A too heavy duty clutch will make your box go next.

Oh and a clutch adding 15% power... where is this place as I'll take 2! :D

SuaVe 29-07-2008 05:07 PM

Not sure what the "Tinke Tinke" of death noise is? lol, so im guessing a better flywheel is a good idea with the clutch but wont add any power?

Kato 29-07-2008 05:11 PM

Smash a gearbox and you will hear 'tinkle tinkle' of the metal in there.

Think about it, what does adding a clutch do to make more power? Then again I have all these stickers on my car, each one giving me an extra 5hp!

mr_psi 29-07-2008 05:22 PM

listen to these lads... they know what they are on about

organic clutch... no clutch shudder and great for everyday use and very compatible with a std gearbox.....

JUN lightened flywheel

doadrift 29-07-2008 09:43 PM

I just bought a Exedy Street tuff heavy duty clutch, $560 of ebay with thrust bearing and spigot bearing aswell as aligning tool new. Coventries wanted $900 without thrust and spoigot bearing...

If it is clutch shop around on price.

*Stockers* 29-07-2008 11:16 PM

Listen up.
- Tell your mechanic he is a tool.
- Then tell him to drop the box fluid, have a look at the shit that comes out. You will know pretty quickly if the box is done...

Easy way to find out what you are up for (and thereby save labour $$$).

And on the bits issue, just go for a HD organic. Very practical, not too expensive, and reduces the risk of future box damage.

astralex 29-07-2008 11:17 PM

As Kato said, you won't think you've done a box, you definately know about it. Oh how I remember my first, driving home without 1st or 2nd gear...the smell of burning clutch...memories

*Stockers* 29-07-2008 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=astralex]As Kato said, you won't think you've done a box, you definately know about it. Oh how I remember my first, driving home without 1st or 2nd gear...the smell of burning clutch...memories[/QUOTE]

Lucky you could drive it home. Learn to blow a box properly haha.

Real men need a tilt-tray. :rolleyes: