Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Power steering (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/21311-power-steering.html)

GX-REX 03-08-2008 11:01 AM

Power steering

Since putting my engine in I have had a prob with the power steering. It is not leaking any fluid at all but makes a screeching noise like as if it is running out of fluid. Any ideas?
I dont know if putting a seal kit in will do anything for it.

PS running gear is 98 wrx and steering rack is 96 GX impreza.

chee 03-08-2008 11:10 AM

flush it out with new fluid.

if symptoms persist, you need a new pump.

SPL1T2ND 26-09-2008 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=chee]flush it out with new fluid.

if symptoms persist, you need a new pump.[/QUOTE]

WTF?? I took the STi down to a place that shall remain anonymus for a routine 85K service. Service manager rings me and says I need a new timing belt, idler, belt tensioner, timing belt cover and two new pulleys. He said I couldn't take the car out of the workshop and that I had no choice. So $2100 and two days later I got my car back and surprise surprise I need a new power steering pump too. Power steering was working fine when I dropped the car off and the days I pick up the car I needed a new one?? WTF??

Are power steering pump problems common?

Hurtenstein 26-09-2008 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=SPL1T2ND] He said I couldn't take the car out of the workshop and that I had no choice.[/QUOTE]

You got royally fucked in the arse.
It's your car, you can take the thing anywhere you like at anytime you like.

chee 26-09-2008 07:14 PM

what a crock of shit

SPL1T2ND 26-09-2008 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=SPL1T2ND]WTF?? I took the STi down to a place that shall remain anonymus for a routine 85K service. Service manager rings me and says I need a new timing belt, idler, belt tensioner, timing belt cover and two new pulleys. He said I couldn't take the car out of the workshop and that I had no choice. So $2100 and two days later I got my car back and surprise surprise I need a new power steering pump too. Power steering was working fine when I dropped the car off and the days I pick up the car I needed a new one?? WTF??

Are power steering pump problems common?[/QUOTE]

I wanna name and shame so bad...

WhiteRX 26-09-2008 07:28 PM

what about the belt tension? is the steering smooth to operate. The only noise a pump usually makes is a grinding. Is the fluid bubbly and aerated?

chee 26-09-2008 08:11 PM

just drop the name

GX-REX 26-09-2008 08:24 PM

For the record, my power steering prob turned out to be a loose belt. Dad didnt lock off the tensioner when we put the new belts on.

SPL1T2ND 26-09-2008 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX]what about the belt tension? is the steering smooth to operate. The only noise a pump usually makes is a grinding. Is the fluid bubbly and aerated?[/QUOTE]

Nah steering is tight and noisy...very noisy. yeah bubbly fluid. What's that mean?