Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Anyone got a twin plate clutch? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/21428-anyone-got-twin-plate-clutch.html)

adamh 08-08-2008 05:59 PM

Anyone got a twin plate clutch?

Hey people,

My clutch is shot. Had a heavy duty organic in there for less than a year. I'm a pretty tame driver in comparison to most and yet it didn't take long for the clutch to go. So I want to upgrade.

So I'm researching other options and have sourced a lot of info from old posts. I had decided upon a twin plate, utill I had a conversation with a mechanic I was recomended to speak to. He said it would be a bitch to drive on the road.

Has anyone here got a twin plate clutch? What do you think of it? If I could organise for someone to let me drive tamely up and down the road to see what it is like for normal driving, that would be ideal (but unlikely I guess).

Currently have a PPG/helical straight cuts, 340hp atw (goal is 400hp, for weekends/cruises/kwinana).

I don't want to be changing the clutch every 6 months.

trainwrex 08-08-2008 06:22 PM

I have a tilton twin plate.. and absoulute bitch to drive slowly especially on a hill its either in or out. And itcomes with a lightened flywheel so makes driving much harder.

but it holds nearly 600 hp atw time after time no slippage..

Talk to sean at asg apparently hes running a more friendlier twin plate..

Sethor 08-08-2008 06:26 PM

If your car is a daily don't even bother with the twin plate. I currently run a brass button, its holding up quite well and being easier to live with than the Excedy 5 puk organic crap I previously which only lasted about 4-6 months.

trusti rex 08-08-2008 06:49 PM

i thought it was clutch material that made the difference to the driveability. for ex. a brass button single plate would be harder to drive than a twin plate organic?? i knew extra plates to be just extra surface area to handle more torque?? but i'm probably wrong :sign12:

dan.r.s 09-08-2008 06:45 PM

hey guys i am in the market for a new clutch.
i have heard a lot of theories with wrx 5speed box's and their weak strength.
i have a 99 sti with a 5speed 1-4 straight cuts and roughly 185kw's
anyone suggest a new clutch? i would like a strong brass button or twin plate but have no idea on strength.

1.daily driver
2. would like it to last for a good amount of time
3. sorry for hijacking

trainwrex 09-08-2008 06:54 PM

^^

upgrade ur gearbox a twin plate will smash it to pieces.. hahah

dan.r.s 09-08-2008 07:00 PM

right-o i figured.
heavy duty excedy?
can you recommend anything

Strubaru 09-08-2008 08:17 PM

for you guys running straight cuts just get a hd organic plate & get a reputable clutch joint to modify the pressure plate (they will replace the finger plate with a heavier one and change the pivot ring) this will give you about 30% extra claping force which is more than enough grip to blow a standard box :D most clutch shops will charge you and axtra $300 on top of the price of the clutch for this mod

i had one like this in my forester & it lasted for ages (at least 2 years) before i inevitably blew the crap out of second gear whilst flat shifting :( i'm still using the same clutch plate now & head heaps of meat on it when i put the new box in - although i'm now using a stock exedy pressure plate through fear of blowing my dccd ra box :)

adamh 10-08-2008 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=Strubaru]for you guys running straight cuts just get a hd organic plate & get a reputable clutch joint to modify the pressure plate (they will replace the finger plate with a heavier one and change the pivot ring) this will give you about 30% extra claping force which is more than enough grip to blow a standard box :D most clutch shops will charge you and axtra $300 on top of the price of the clutch for this mod

i had one like this in my forester & it lasted for ages (at least 2 years) before i inevitably blew the crap out of second gear whilst flat shifting :( i'm still using the same clutch plate now & head heaps of meat on it when i put the new box in - although i'm now using a stock exedy pressure plate through fear of blowing my dccd ra box :)[/QUOTE]

Is it just more clamping force I'm after? Is this going to make the clutch last longer? (Sorry for the noob question haha.)