Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Steering feels light, front feels floaty? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/21779-steering-feels-light-front-feels-floaty.html)

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:07 PM

Steering feels light, front feels floaty?

Am I just imaginign things here? After my coilovers/sway bars/ALK and roll centre kit, it felt ok but past few days feels floaty and the steering very light, is this just normal? I might take it to the guys that did it to have a peek, but thought I would get some oppinions first.

Cheers

Kato 25-08-2008 06:21 PM

Had a proper alignment done?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:30 PM

Yeah it had an alignment when all the gear was fitted. I don't know it just doesnt 'feel' right to me but who knows might just be nothing. Just steering feels too light to me.

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 06:38 PM

Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.

Did they give you a printout of the alignment before and after, im guessing not.

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.[/QUOTE]

So it is normal or is there something that can be done?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.

Did they give you a printout of the alignment before and after, im guessing not.[/QUOTE]

Front Left
---------------
camber -1.8
caster 3.5
toe 0.2mm
SAI 17.2 deg
Included angle 15.4 deg

Front Left
---------------
camber -1.8
caster 3.8
toe 0.1mm
SAI 17.0 deg
Included angle 15.1 deg

Front
-------
Cross camber 0.0 deg
cross caster -0.4deg
Cross SAI 0.2 deg
Total Toe 0.1mm

Rear Left
--------
Camber -1.4deg
Toe 0.6mm

Rear Right
---------
Camber -1.6deg
Toe 0.3mm

Rear
-----
Cross Camber 0.2deg
Total Toe 0.8mm
Thrust Angele 0deg01'

Cheers

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 06:52 PM

Looks perfect, exactly what i would have done. Do you have an old alignment printout prior to doing these mods?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:53 PM

Umm I had one somewhere mate but honestly no idea where it would be :). I guess I will just keep driving it and take it in soon to get checked over. Maybe its just me getting used to it.

Cheers for ya help btw

trusti rex 25-08-2008 07:06 PM

yeah mate if you didnt have toe out as stock at the rear i notice you do now it would make turn in feel a lot quicker (lighter steering) but little bit less stable at higher speeds (floaty feeling). but thats only if you didnt have it before

p.s. always a good idea to get before and after alignment printouts that ways if you dont like the new settings you know what the old one was. also the settings you have for toe out are within the recommended range for dccd equipped cars at the rear (max. is 1.0 per side / 0-2.0mm total) so if the feel doesnt bother you enjoy the new 'light' steering!

wannabox 25-08-2008 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=trusti rex]yeah mate if you didnt have toe out as stock at the rear i notice you do now it would make turn in feel a lot quicker (lighter steering) but little bit less stable at higher speeds (floaty feeling). but thats only if you didnt have it before[/QUOTE]

Ahh ok mate thanks that might explain it, before was just stock suspension, I will try find the old numbers, lemme go to the glovebox and check.

Cheers

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=trusti rex]if you didnt have toe out as stock at the rear i notice you do now[/QUOTE]

He doesnt have toe out on the rear, it has roughly 0.8mm positive overall.

wannabox 25-08-2008 07:27 PM

Found the alignment from a few months ago:

Rear

Camber Left: -1.68
Camber Right: - 1.37
Toe Left: +0
Toe Right: +0
Total Toe: +0

Front
Castor Left: 3.17
Castor Right: 3.47
Camber Left: -.89
Camber Right: -.94
Toe LEft: +0.1mm
Toe Right: +0.1mm
Total Toe: +0.2mm

Cheers

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 07:30 PM

Pretty much the same as far as toe goes all around, camber has been increased all around which does reduce stability but nothing you should notice in the amount it has been changed.

trusti rex 25-08-2008 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]He doesnt have toe out on the rear, it has roughly 0.8mm positive overall.[/QUOTE]

toe out is measured as a + number. notice how in his stock settings he has 0's at the rear. so yeah get it checked if you still want but imo its the toe out youre feeling

wannabox 25-08-2008 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=trusti rex]toe out is measured as a + number. notice how in his stock settings he has 0's at the rear. so yeah get it checked if you still want but imo its the toe out youre feeling[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate, might just take some time and get used to it fully, it must be the feeling when I turn it goes, so it feels snappier, hehe dunno really howto explain it :\

P.s. I am not making much sense I am sure of it hehe.

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 07:38 PM

Must be me who's wrong, only 7 years of being a wheel aligner doing an average of 4 a day.

trusti rex 25-08-2008 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=wannabox]Thanks mate, might just take some time and get used to it fully, it must be the feeling when I turn it goes,[B] [COLOR=Red]so it feels snappier[/COLOR][/B], hehe dunno really howto explain it :\

P.s. I am not making much sense I am sure of it hehe.[/QUOTE]

yeah its weird when you first get it done but thats exactly what toe out does makes turn in quicker at the expense of a little straight line stability. its also used to reduce understeer in cars like the wrx

trusti rex 25-08-2008 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]Must be me who's wrong, only 7 years of being a wheel aligner doing an average of 4 a day.[/QUOTE]

not arguing with you its just my experience of recently having it done. thats all

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=wannabox]Am I just imaginign things here? After my coilovers/sway bars/ALK and roll centre kit, it felt ok but past few days feels floaty and the steering very light, is this just normal? I might take it to the guys that did it to have a peek, but thought I would get some oppinions first.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

What size bars front and rear did you get fitted btw?

Which coilovers, and rates?

The place which did it should recheck it for you if you feel something is wrong for sure, but its upto them and how good their customer service really is in the end.

wannabox 25-08-2008 07:54 PM

Thanks mate, got Tein Super Street all round, stock spring rate, damper set on 8. I have 24mm adjustable sway front and rear set on softest I was told.

Cheers

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 07:57 PM

Sounds good, for my own intrest have you noticed a decrease on initial turn-in on corners to before?

wannabox 25-08-2008 08:30 PM

What do you mean? I am not too sure I udnerstand.

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 08:37 PM

When you first turn the wheel to go into a corner (above granny speeds).

wannabox 25-08-2008 08:46 PM

Ummm I would say it will turn in alot more and quicker than before, now a little movement of the wheel has it moving, very twitchy if you get me?

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 08:49 PM

I experienced this the most on my vehicle when i installed the roll center kit, all of my suspension mods have been done separately from each other to gauge their own impact on the vehicle's dynamics.

wannabox 25-08-2008 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]I experienced this the most on my vehicle when i installed the roll center kit, all of my suspension mods have been done separately from each other to gauge their own impact on the vehicle's dynamics.[/QUOTE]

Yeah wish I did it incrementally now to see the differences instead of the lot in one hit, but ohh well. Time to enjoy it now :)

wannabox 05-09-2008 07:58 PM

Another thing I notices, went for a ride down mundaring way and on the roads at a bit of speed any bump and it is hairy, not very stable. Think ill take her in for an alignment and check see how that goes.