Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Electrical Problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/22097-electrical-problem.html)

Elrico 09-09-2008 04:19 AM

Electrical Problem

Ok well driving from Kalamunda to Canning Vale isnt the most plesant using your high beams. The amount of people flashing me in rage was rather embarrasing.

I drove to work today at 5:30pm, day light (working nightshift), and finished 3:30am this morning. I found that the first turn of the lights puts on my side lights on, but the second click fails to put on the head lights. Just then i did a bit of fault finding by inspecting the headlight fuses under the bonnet, the illumi fuse under the dash but to no avail. I switch the lights on, the relays click and i have got 2 of the same kind (from the horn which i know works) and tried it on either the left and right headlight relay.

Im baffled. Could i be that unlucky that i blew 2 headlight globes in 1 go? Lose connection somewhere? I had a quick check at the lights them selves and they seem to be alright wiring wise but for 2 to fail in 1 go leads me to believe there is 1 main relay or fuse that has gone but am unable to find it.

Any suggestions as i need to sort this out asap and considering i know the fudamentals of ac/dc electricity id rather do it myself as an auto sparky would most likley charge me a fortune.

Thanks for your time,

Eric

EDIT: With a little bit of investigative work, i am eager to ask if a stock gc8 has halogen or HID globes? Aparently If halogen the low beams could of gone explaining the outage of low beams but if its HID, the shutter could be cactus. Does this sound right?

saturation 09-09-2008 06:52 AM

from factory halogen.

HID;s involve installing igniters & ballasts. Lights would flicker and get brighter with HID;s.

SPEC IV 09-09-2008 07:37 AM

If its never happened before I would try replacing the globes as a easier and cheaper option first. Process of elimination i guess.

GX-REX 09-09-2008 07:52 AM

Probably find its the switch on the indicator stalk. I have heard they like to stuff up on the late GC8s.

impreza_GT 09-09-2008 08:13 AM

play around with the plug on the back of the headlight. Happened to me once. Replaced globes then the fuses, then finally just pushed the plugs in harder and baboomba they worked.

REXLLENT 09-09-2008 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]Probably find its the switch on the indicator stalk. I have heard they like to stuff up on the late GC8s.[/QUOTE]

yeah had the indicator stalk go on my car last year. my headlights would turn on but then turn off all of a sudden. i had to move the stalk around to get them back on again.

saturation 09-09-2008 11:07 AM

side thought, but if you pull does high beam work ?

Elrico 09-09-2008 11:23 AM

Thanks for the input all. I decided seeing as though none of the fuses were gone and moving the indicator stalk didnt do much to fix the headlights. Turns out one of them has surged, totally blowing the fillament so that is wasnt even there anymore in turn causing the other fillament to partially open and obviously blow aswel. Being halogen it has 2 fillaments so that fits the reason that highbeam would work yet low beam wouldnt. 2 new globes, $22 later and all is well.