Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Driveline whine with a differance! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/23299-driveline-whine-differance.html)

Rossco 17-11-2008 05:56 PM

Driveline whine with a differance!

Car: 00 v6 STi

Symptom:

Cruise between 110 - 115 kph (gps) - 5th gear or 4th gear 80-90 kph

High pitched whine emitted from driveline - impossible to pin point - disappears under acceleration or on overrun, just there when holding constant speed.

It's too high in pitch to be a wheel bearing........

Loud enough to hear it reverb off concrete freeway dividers - kinda sounds like quiet straight cuts.

Has me stumped!

Originally thought it was a dry CV resonating (one inner had split boot) - changed both front shafts = No change
Changed all driveline fluids = No change
Rims & tyres = No change
Lowering 40 mm + new sway bars = No change
New front disc's and f/r pads = No change

Seems like something is resonating in the driveline....just can't freeekin find it!!

Any Ideas???

wild_rx 17-11-2008 06:50 PM

rear diff....symptoms sound exactly the same as mine....

i put mine on a hoist and spun it up and the noise was clear as day from the rear diff

Sorry to hear

daveygravey 17-11-2008 06:56 PM

+1 for rear diff..... prob output bearing.... if it is i have a diff in my shed...

chee 17-11-2008 07:07 PM

doubt it will fit. different diff ratios.

Rossco 17-11-2008 07:09 PM

had it on a hoist and couldn't replicate the noise.....seems everything needs to be under some load to get it to happen.

I thought rear diff issues were a side effct of dccd? (non dccd box here)

Centre diff?

I've heard the v6 sti boxes may have had a thrust bearing issue also?

Not rear diff as it seems to eminate centrally in the car i.e. from the box or front end.

daveygravey 17-11-2008 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=chee]doubt it will fit. different diff ratios.[/QUOTE]

yer thought that after i posted...

wild_rx 17-11-2008 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=LegacyRS]had it on a hoist and couldn't replicate the noise.....seems everything needs to be under some load to get it to happen.

I thought rear diff issues were a side effct of dccd? (non dccd box here)

Centre diff?

I've heard the v6 sti boxes may have had a thrust bearing issue also?

Not rear diff as it seems to eminate centrally in the car i.e. from the box or front end.[/QUOTE]

mine sounds like the front when driving, how fast were you going on the hoist??

might have to go abit faster....

WhiteRX 17-11-2008 08:39 PM

2 of the subaru's i have owned made the exact same noise, my old wrx and RX. My sti doesnt but i can hear it slightly. im not worried, as the noise was never intrusive into the cabin and never caused any problems. I think it is the adjustment on the front diff goes out of spec.

jEstEr? 17-11-2008 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=LegacyRS]I thought rear diff issues were a side effct of dccd? (non dccd box here)[/QUOTE]

Rear diff issues have nothing to do with what type of centre diff you have.

Taktics 17-11-2008 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX]2 of the subaru's i have owned made the exact same noise, my old wrx and RX. My sti doesnt but i can hear it slightly. im not worried, as the noise was never intrusive into the cabin and never caused any problems. I think it is the adjustment on the front diff goes out of spec.[/QUOTE]

Is he paranoid like me Tom? LOL

LegacyRS I think I know what your talking about. I have the same car as you, but to me it sounds like is coming from the front, haven't hoisted it up and try pin-pointing it to see if it is from front or rear. Hard to tell in-cabinet along with exhaust rumbling, intake and turbo spooling all at the same time.

Maybe crank a hoist day eh?! :p and see wtf is going on down there. :cool: