Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Power Loss (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/23633-power-loss.html)

Serbaru 04-12-2008 08:54 PM

Power Loss

Hey guys...

just asking a quick question about the power loss im experiencing...the car was running sweet as a few weeks ago after my service now its running horrible like i cant even feel any pull and seems to be losing alot of power and not moving anywhere almost feels like a non turbo...possible ideas i thought it would be was Turbo problems....or maybe even radiator or some pipes are loose somewhere.

what you guys think? any ideas? i will be taking the car back to tenagah motorsport where i did my 100k service very soon so they can check it out.
Its a 2005 sti btw.

cheers any help appreciated.

mr_psi 04-12-2008 09:02 PM

you will probably find you are much more familiar with the power output and that the car is running the same as before.

Serbaru 04-12-2008 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]you will probably find you are much more familiar with the power output and that the car is running the same as before.[/QUOTE]

lol thats what my brother thought as well....but its not at all, i have noticed a big difference in power.

Rexxar 04-12-2008 09:12 PM

100k on a 05 sti wow u must travel alot

same with my car i cant seem to feel any power when im driving but as a passenger fuck me car goes hard

chee 04-12-2008 09:25 PM

maybe they unsettled something during service? go through looking for unplugged vac lines and maybe loose intake or something.

Serbaru 04-12-2008 09:36 PM

i bought it over east and the guy use to drive 40 mins to work everyday...cant complain on the price though i got it for.

yeah i tried checking some vac lines and intake, the car was leaking radiator fluid before the service and they cleaned it up...could be that does look like its back and is affecting the power.

waxdass 04-12-2008 09:42 PM

try the usual stuff.. AFM, hole in intake tract/ vaccuum etc

If its still stuffed get a compression test done.

GX-REX 04-12-2008 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]i bought it over east and the guy use to drive 40 mins to work everyday...cant complain on the price though i got it for.

yeah i tried checking some vac lines and intake, the car was leaking radiator fluid before the service and they cleaned it up...could be that does look like its back and is affecting the power.[/QUOTE]

Leaking coolant?? Where is it leaking from? Only thing I can think of that would relate the coolant loss to loss of power is a blown head gasket...

Serbaru 04-12-2008 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]Leaking coolant?? Where is it leaking from? Only thing I can think of that would relate the coolant loss to loss of power is a blown head gasket...[/QUOTE]

just like around the top of the radiator it is....tenagah said it wasnt a biggy just keep and eye on it but they said might need to get the radiator serviced and flushed or something.

maybe it could be the bov?

hopefully its not the turbo...if so time for a upgrade.

Serbaru 04-12-2008 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=waxdass]try the usual stuff.. AFM, hole in intake tract/ vaccuum etc

If its still stuffed get a compression test done.[/QUOTE]

ill get tenagah to check out the problem 2moz and do the compression test....they did one when my service was getting done and had no problems

waxdass 04-12-2008 10:04 PM

if a compression test has been done, then get them to scan the ecu for any issues... you'l be able to figure out of the AFM is dodgy etc
any CEL light?

Serbaru 04-12-2008 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=waxdass]if a compression test has been done, then get them to scan the ecu for any issues... you'l be able to figure out of the AFM is dodgy etc
any CEL light?[/QUOTE]

yeah i will tell them to have a look at that too....no CEL light at all, i took the car for a spin just then same thing wont read under 19 degrees on the dash as well is what i noticed...car feels too slow for my liking...car takes so long to get to 100 almost seems like its limited to 100....do you think something is wrong with the boosting?

wannabox 04-12-2008 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]you will probably find you are much more familiar with the power output and that the car is running the same as before.[/QUOTE]

I have this problem I think it runs like a dog, but then take it away for a week and jump in and it is fun again. I think weekly mods are needed to satisfy :).

Then again any little issue and I think it is bad, just over react sometimes myself I guess.

Serbaru 05-12-2008 07:11 PM

took the car in today and found out the reason it was losing power was because the turbo is only boosting at .5bar cause the stock boost controller solenoid is faulty so looks like i need to get a new boost controller a after market one most likely.....any ideas on what to get anybody?

JDM_STYLE 05-12-2008 07:18 PM

Hey mate, this is a bit off topic but how much did you
pay for your sti?

Hope you dont mind.

Serbaru 05-12-2008 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE]Hey mate, this is a bit off topic but how much did you
pay for your sti?

Hope you dont mind.[/QUOTE]

Its all cool man

33k from queensland :)

WRXTASY 06-12-2008 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]took the car in today and found out the reason it was losing power was because the turbo is only boosting at .5bar cause the stock boost controller solenoid is faulty so looks like i need to get a new boost controller a after market one most likely.....any ideas on what to get anybody?[/QUOTE]
Stock boost controller ---- just ring ASG, RMS or MMS and they will very likely have a factory one sitting in the shop left over from when owners cars were tuned using upgraded Mac 3 Port boost solenoids or similar.

Really no need to go aftermarket on a factory tune.

Serbaru 06-12-2008 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Stock boost controller ---- just ring ASG, RMS or MMS and they will very likely have a factory one sitting in the shop left over from when owners cars were tuned using upgraded Mac 3 Port boost solenoids or similar.

Really no need to go aftermarket on a factory tune.[/QUOTE]

cheers for the info man...yeah just looking at getting the car back to what it was before it stuffed up the with solenoid....would i need to get the ecu tuned back into the stock setting or would it just go back to normal stock boost when i get the solenoid replaced????

WRXTASY 06-12-2008 04:23 PM

Solenoid Replaced factory for factory one.

Bingo back to stock boost and normal running!!!!

You could get a workshop to do an ECU reset while at it just to be 100% sure.

:) :) :)

Serbaru 06-12-2008 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Solenoid Replaced factory for factory one.

Bingo back to stock boost and normal running!!!!

You could get a workshop to do an ECU reset while at it just to be 100% sure.

:) :) :)[/QUOTE]

cheers man...:) looks like i got it sorted dont think it will cost too much aye....do you know how much it would cost for a stock solenoid? and resetting the ecu

JDM_STYLE 09-12-2008 06:16 PM

Howd yo go mate, all sorted now?

Serbaru 18-12-2008 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=JDM_STYLE]Howd yo go mate, all sorted now?[/QUOTE]

not all sorted...found out it was the Stock exhuast system CAT from the dump was blocked and some pieces went into the dump pipe...

got the exhaust coming this week so hope it fixes the problem.

Evo2 18-12-2008 07:56 PM

Bloody hell how did that happen ?

Any pics ? :)

fobz 18-12-2008 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]not all sorted...found out it was the Stock exhuast system CAT from the dump was blocked and some pieces went into the dump pipe...

got the exhaust coming this week so hope it fixes the problem.[/QUOTE]

That will act just like a zorst brake on buses and trucks.
That will slow your baby down.

Serbaru 18-12-2008 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=Evo2]Bloody hell how did that happen ?

Any pics ? :)[/QUOTE]

Nah no pics aye man...ill try get some pics when the zorst comes off and post em up, Hope thats all it is though and the car comes back to normal boost atm its only 5 psi SPEWING feels so boring to drive.

Evo2 19-12-2008 03:24 PM

What was the cause for the blockage ?

odd....

Serbaru 23-12-2008 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Evo2]What was the cause for the blockage ?

odd....[/QUOTE]

All fixed now cars better than ever...the problem looked like it was the CAT.

was completely rooted.