Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Little problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/23651-little-problem.html)

BALISTC 05-12-2008 06:21 PM

Little problem

Hi everyone,

Okay need your opinion on a problem I'm having with my car.

If I take off fairly briskly, or shift gears and let the clutch out quickly, I'm getting a sharp sort of "clunk" or "crack" noise coming from under the dash, from the pedal area. I can feel it through the pedals too. It also does it if I'm driving along, rev the car in neutral, then let the clutch out firmly (I don't do that all the time, only did that to see if it made the noise :))

If I drive the car normally, it doesn't do it. Any ideas?

I thought pitch stopper, but I checked it and its not broken or loose. Transmission mounts? Engine mounts? Dump pipe hitting something maybe?

It only really started doing it recently, never noticed it before I had my Exedy clutch and Fidanza flywheel installed, and I didn't really notice it afterwards either...its only just started doing it.

Cheers :)

Mister Two 05-12-2008 06:34 PM

front diff back lash needs adjustment?

IanJ 05-12-2008 07:07 PM

I had a similar problem. Turned out the downpipe doesn't have much clearance and it was hitting the firewall/tunnel. Slight adjustment to mount and all was well with the universe again.

Rossco 05-12-2008 07:43 PM

Front lower control arm castor bush?

Cooper89 05-12-2008 07:50 PM

Hmm. I am not sure what your problem is.. But maybe your exhaust is banging on your engine/gearbox mount? The Ej20 move alot i hear. I have a bent Gb mount, and under hard driving that clunks.

I also feel it in my pedals. It has to be a mount or the exhaust check it for a dent. Because mine hits the mount only when you turn left with no throttle.

Sorry but hope that might help.

wannabox 06-12-2008 08:28 AM

I get the exact same thing on hard take off if dumped will clank, have no idea what it is, I put it down to my suspension work and or exhaust clanking but need to get it checkout out one of these days :\ hope it isn't bad.

WRXTASY 06-12-2008 09:28 AM

Squirrels under the dash cracking Nuts for Winter ???

Stop feeding 'em...

BALISTC 06-12-2008 09:31 AM

Ha ha, nah I don't think so :D

I'm also thinking dump pipe hitting something...it looks pretty damn close to the steering knuckle, so I'll check that first, but if I can't work it out myself I'll just take the car in to ASG to get them to check over it.

Don't think its a major issue, just really annoying!

Cooper89 06-12-2008 09:35 AM

I read somewhere that the standard wrx knuckle was bigger than the STi one and could rub or knock on an after market dump pipe.

Is your steering knuckle stock?

Mattr!x 06-12-2008 09:51 AM

Intercooler hitting the strut bar.... was exactly as you described on mine.... i had to put the washers for the strut bar underneath to give me a bit more gap and even some foam in between!!