Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Changing a copper washer on a oil feed line - 03 STi Heads with VVT??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/23934-changing-copper-washer-oil-feed-line-03-sti-heads-vvt.html)

JA50N 22-12-2008 05:54 PM

Changing a copper washer on a oil feed line - 03 STi Heads with VVT???

Hey guys, my car is 99% done but when I started it up Friday afternoon I discovered a problem that my mechanic has obviously done.

On the left hand side head (03 STi heads) where the oil (high pressure) feed line banjo bolt joins the variable valve timing, there is a copper washer both sides of the banjo. I believe my mechanic has overtightened the banjo bolt causing the copper washer to split on one side. When I turn my car over it starts fine but oil sprays out from the washer.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering if there is ANY way of getting this off without removing timing covers, belts, cam gears etc?

From what I can see I don't think it's possible without removing them, but someone might be able to help me out with a answer before I go ahead. It's the banjo bolt next to the dipstick on a EJ.

Any help or tips would be appriciated.

Thanks, Jason.

jEstEr? 22-12-2008 06:30 PM

make tony fix it

Rexy03 22-12-2008 07:40 PM

its not too hard to get at
remove the washer bottle and a few cables out of the way and you should be able to slowly swing an open ended spanner in there
you wont have much room but it can be done
also easier if the bracket above the banjo bolt is removed if you can get at the bolt at the back of the engine
the passenger side is easier than the drivers side

BALISTC 22-12-2008 08:58 PM

You can get the copper crush washers from Enzed, Pirtek, etc.

Are you talking about the head below the turbo? When I had an oil feed line leak (braided item didn't quite work as expected), it was a turbo off job to replace that and the corresponding crush washers, etc.

You might find it easier to get to it from underneath, but don't quote me on that.

Rexy03 22-12-2008 10:09 PM

pretty sure he`s talking about the banjo bolt on the left AVCS solenoid ?

JA50N 22-12-2008 10:22 PM

Cheers for replies people. It's the passenger side head. Rexy03 I'll give it a go as I'm on holidays. I'm not too sure how tight the banjo would be done up? I'm guessing too fucken tight because the copper washer is fingered. It might be a bit hard to get enough leverage with a open ender to crack the banjo as on the EJ205 there is a gap about 10cm between the timing belt cover, the banjo and the dipstick (although the dipstick tube can be removed).

Joe, I wish it was the turbo side. And I super wish I could get to it from under the car. On the 205 is accesible from the top next to the overflow bottle but if I go from underneath I hit the head.

Jester, that fucken moron is NEVER EVER touching ANYTHING of mine again. Nor is Speedworks if they still exist.

JA50N 22-12-2008 10:35 PM

Or I'm wondering if I should get a mobile mechanic to come do it with a rattle gun?

Can anyone recommend a quality mobile mechanic?

Hurtenstein 23-12-2008 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=JA50N]
Jester, that fucken moron is NEVER EVER touching ANYTHING of mine again. Nor is Speedworks if they still exist.[/QUOTE]

Weren't you the local Spedworks fanboy at one stage?

GX-REX 23-12-2008 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=JA50N]Or I'm wondering if I should get a mobile mechanic to come do it with a rattle gun?

Can anyone recommend a quality mobile mechanic?[/QUOTE]

Jim Hall does mobile doesnt he?

JA50N 23-12-2008 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein]Weren't you the local Spedworks fanboy at one stage?[/QUOTE]

Yeah man when they were still an established buisness. Not now he is illegally running it from the backyard of his house.