Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Race Torque VS Maximum Motorsports (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/24330-race-torque-vs-maximum-motorsports.html)

r3spect 15-01-2009 07:59 AM

Race Torque VS Maximum Motorsports

Who's better for tuning?

Opinions and past experiences

207 de 15-01-2009 08:07 AM

search, or even better personally visit each work shop and ask them that exact question.

Chrus 15-01-2009 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=r3spect]Who's better for tuning?

Opinions and past experiences[/QUOTE]
Like 207de said, go and talk to them - sound them out. I think with a question like that, your open to replies from people that enjoy and dislike the service from both workshops i.e., dont expect a clear answer :)

Smokey 15-01-2009 08:37 AM

maybe the question you should be asking, is which workshop should i visit to have my car tuned, rather than narrowing it down to 2?

BOMB3R 15-01-2009 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=Smokey]maybe the question you should be asking, is which workshop should i visit to have my car tuned, rather than narrowing it down to 2?[/QUOTE]
Exactly everyone has their opinions on both workshops good and bad, you will get alot of mixed reports. Why narrow it to only these 2?

Sethor 15-01-2009 08:49 AM

Also noting which ECU you have might help with advice to which workshops to consider.

tommo 15-01-2009 10:04 AM

boys boys he asked about those two, you dont always have to go the hard sell on ASG..

phizzle 15-01-2009 10:11 AM

^^^ LOL, no-one's mentioned them until now. Or Tenegah, or RMS......

I assume you are getting an EcuTEK tune done if it's a choice out of those workshops?

Kato 15-01-2009 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=tommo]boys boys he asked about those two, you dont always have to go the hard sell on ASG..[/QUOTE]

But you're the only one who mentioned ASG... :confused:

Lots of workshops out there to tune Subarus. Speak directly to the tuners and find out which one shares the same thoughts as yourself.

Also it depends on what ECU/tuning option you want to go for. Some tuners won't tune certain ECU's so that limits your workshops.

I doubt you will get a RT > MMS or MMS > RT response from this thread, as it will be spammed to all hell.

tommo 15-01-2009 10:16 AM

no one mentioned them but it was coming haha
just go see and ask and make your own decision.. What is it you want done btw?

tommo 15-01-2009 10:20 AM

Hey my opinion if asking go MMS but that's coming from someone who has never stepped foot in race torque.. So can't compare but i think MMS are great..

WRXRW 15-01-2009 10:20 AM

i recommend steve thomas from sst

Fozzy 15-01-2009 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=WRXRW]i recommend steve thomas from sst[/QUOTE]

+1 for Super Steve Thomas

BLUES 15-01-2009 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=r3spect]Who's better for tuning?

Opinions and past experiences[/QUOTE]

I am just going to answer the original question as asked - In the past I have had tunes from both workshops - I prefer Lane's tuning.

You should really speak them first hand as every tuner/workshop in Perth will have supporters & haters.

r3spect 15-01-2009 10:43 AM

its hard speaking to them. It seems like you take a back seat to all their other stuff. But race torque n mms are the only one that does ecutek.

thats why i just ask for people's opinions

WRXRW 15-01-2009 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=r3spect]It seems like you take a back seat to all their other stuff. [/QUOTE]

amen to that! im sure if you front up to either shop, lane or steve will be more than happy to go through it with you!

welcome to moddin a wrx in the perth scene!

BLUES 15-01-2009 10:47 AM

Forget the phone - make the time & effort to visit them for a chat, just avoid Rally commitments - it may take multiple trips.

Smokey 15-01-2009 10:49 AM

well if you want an honest answer between the two? Ive only ever been to RT out of both of them, and i would never ever leave my with them ever again, for any reason.

WRXRW 15-01-2009 10:53 AM

i see this thread going south very quickly, say hello to mr lock!

from "personal" experience i wave the mms flag loud and proud and wouldn't think of going anywhere else for matters pertaining to all things subaru.

RUSSGT 15-01-2009 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=tommo]boys boys he asked about those two, you dont always have to go the hard sell on ASG..[/QUOTE]
haha thats hell funny. Not one mention of them. haha

phizzle 15-01-2009 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=WRXRW]from "personal" experience i wave the mms flag loud and proud and wouldn't think of going anywhere else for matters pertaining to all things subaru.[/QUOTE]
Fats is one of a few Subaru Master Mechanics in Australia and is at MMS isn't he?

BOMB3R 15-01-2009 11:03 AM

My honest opinion is RT. Had EcuTek installed at MMS and car shouldn't have left the workshop running the way it was. Then tuned at RT and was happy until it blew, I blame the programme not the tuner though. Go figure.

GX-REX 15-01-2009 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=phizzle]Fats is one of a few Subaru Master Mechanics in Australia and is at MMS isn't he?[/QUOTE]

Dunno about that, Fats runs JWS now and pretty sure he only works from there. I could be wrong though...

RUSSGT 15-01-2009 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=GX-REX]Dunno about that, Fats runs JWS now and pretty sure he only works from there. I could be wrong though...[/QUOTE]
Your right.

panab 15-01-2009 12:54 PM

The ECU programme is only as good as what the tuner put's in. Your motor wont just "Blow" by its self, there is always a cause !!! :cool:

BOMB3R 15-01-2009 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=panab]The ECU programme is only as good as what the tuner put's in. Your motor wont just "Blow" by its self, there is always a cause !!! :cool:[/QUOTE]
There is always a cause and not necessarily always the tuners fault. Programmes fuk up, I know this from first hand experience with EcuShit.

Bakks 15-01-2009 01:04 PM

What problems did you have with EcuTek?

nauli 15-01-2009 01:07 PM

The original question obviously pertained to ECUTek and MMS and RT being the only suppliers in WA, thus the comparison question.
My advice is to go in and talk to both workshops...Lane at RT and Steve at MMS...and ask each about how they tune, and most importantly, if they offer any sort of "warranty protection"...then make up your own mind.

Disclaimer....For mine, I have been dealing with MMS since 1994 and they are personal friends of mine...I would never take my car anywhere else. I have had 2 cars with ECUTek tuned by Steve...'02 STi for 4 years and current '06 STI for 3 years and have never had a problem with the tune in either....both have been used on the track and both have been reasonably competitive and above all reliable.

MKVIGTI 15-01-2009 06:35 PM

I used to go to MMS and had the exhaust and original tune done there. Met lane when out at PSI doing an after run on the dyno ( neither MMS or RT had a dyno at the time )

Lane has always had plenty of time for my dumb questions and are very happy with the service.

Was happy with Steve's work but always gave me the impression he had to many things on his plate to have any time for you. Probably just lucked a few bad hair days but thats how it goes.

Would be happy to have either work on my car but just prefer the service I have had RT.

V3 RA 15-01-2009 07:17 PM

+1 for mms being a busy shop...but after the wait im happy with the service and end result. From the sounds of it either is good but check em out and decide for yourself :)

meatbag 15-01-2009 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=WRXRW]i see this thread going south very quickly, say hello to mr lock!

[/QUOTE]

Just by reading the thread Title, I thought the exact same thing.

In before the lock.

joey89 15-01-2009 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle]Fats is one of a few Subaru Master Mechanics in Australia and is at MMS isn't he?[/QUOTE]
Nar fats works out of JWS if im not mistaking as fats motorsport he was going to do 6 speed conversion for me on the rexy but ened up going with ppg's.

MonsterMashie 15-01-2009 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=BlackSTi]
Lane has always had plenty of time for my dumb questions and are very happy with the service.

Was happy with Steve's work but always gave me the impression he had to many things on his plate to have any time for you. Probably just lucked a few bad hair days but thats how it goes.

Would be happy to have either work on my car but just prefer the service I have had RT.[/QUOTE]

x2

:)

type25 15-01-2009 08:09 PM

I've heard good and bad "stories" about both.
If I had an evo it would go to RT over MMS.
But a subaru could go to either with good results.
It is up to you entirely, just talk face to face with both Lane and Steve and make up your own mind.
At the end of the day you need to discuss with each of them what you are trying to achieve and see which one of them best suits you goals.

B4GT 15-01-2009 09:16 PM

just my 2cents about ASG, Tuning wise they are great, but i got totally ripped off on....

1 - Ecu: asked for and got quoted for in writing and paid for a SM4 got a SMC. (they pleaded ignorance and told me to like it or lump it)
2 - Injectors: Asked for new PE or sard 800cc injectors got second hand 650cc STI (almost running at 100%)
3 - Exhaust: Asked for and paid for exhaust to get modified with new bends to clear RSB, they got a HAMMER out to modify the "BEND"

But like i said Sean did a great job tuning the ECU, But wont be going back ever.

Sethor 15-01-2009 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=B4GT]1 - Ecu: asked for and got quoted for in writing and paid for a SM4 got a SMC. (they pleaded ignorance and told me to like it or lump it)
[/QUOTE]

Did not think SMC had AVCS control? Are you sure you have a SMC because who would wire in a SMC ecu when there is a PnP SM4 available?

Kato 16-01-2009 07:13 AM

Why are you bashing ASG in a thread about Race Torque and MMS?