Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   smoke coming from exhaust (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/24378-smoke-coming-exhaust.html)

r3spect 17-01-2009 06:06 PM

smoke coming from exhaust

hey guys,

bit concerned... i just notice smoke coming from by exhaust :( its not thick black smoke but its white-ish grey smoke.

jus got my car tuned at race torque on thursday. would this have anything to do with it?

anything wrong with my car?

by the way, car is a 03 sti

thanks

Luigi 17-01-2009 06:07 PM

Is it only when you start it after you leave it sit for a while or only see it when under boost?

r3spect 17-01-2009 06:11 PM

see it under boost.

trainwrex 17-01-2009 06:13 PM

if its blackish.. probaly running rich on boost. safe tune...

Fozzy 17-01-2009 06:15 PM

I smell oil burning

r3spect 17-01-2009 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]if its blackish.. probaly running rich on boost. safe tune...[/QUOTE]

nothing to worry about?! safe to still drive around?

[QUOTE=Fozzy]I smell oil burning[/QUOTE]

what do you mean?! no oil?!

phizzle 17-01-2009 06:51 PM

White-ish smoke is a tell tale sign that there is oil leaking through some part of your motor it really shouldn't be, such as a turbo..... :(

If you absolutely must drive it, take it straight to a workshop for diagnosis. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive too far on it, especially under boost :icon_cher

r3spect 17-01-2009 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle]White-ish smoke is a tell tale sign that there is oil leaking through some part of your motor it really shouldn't be, such as a turbo..... :(

If you absolutely must drive it, take it straight to a workshop for diagnosis. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive too far on it, especially under boost :icon_cher[/QUOTE]

yeah its my daily driver, so getting around in it is a must. wont be able to take it to race torque til wednesday? is that leaving it too long?

phizzle 17-01-2009 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=r3spect]yeah its my daily driver, so getting around in it is a must. wont be able to take it to race torque til wednesday? is that leaving it too long?[/QUOTE]
Get a bus time table bro. I'd rather be put out for a few days for a small fixable issue then be up for a new engine + shit loads of labour. You may be able to nanna it around, but I'd look for other alternatives in the meantime (dad/mum/sister/grandpa???). It could just be a leaky seal in the turbo (not uncommon) but it could be more serious. It's all up to you and a gamble in the end

Rossco 17-01-2009 08:09 PM

If you **MUST** drive it please follow these rules:
1. check oil before & after every drive
2. re-read #1

If it's the turbo (exhaust side) seal saying bye bye......be prepared to tow it when it fails completely.... you'll know,it'll smoke like a biatch and rapidly drain the sump!

also check coolant.....could be a head gasket on it's way too.

I'd play safe and not drive it unless I absolutely had to.