Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Ceramic Coating (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/24870-ceramic-coating.html)

MKVIGTI 14-02-2009 02:19 PM

Ceramic Coating

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything less than a couple of years old.

Who's the go for ceramic coating these days? Not the lets make it pretty stuff the good, this is the stuff that really does the job stuff.

The Headers I am getting are slip fit. Do I need to test fit and then lock them in place or I am right to just get them coated and then sort out the fitting when they go on?

jungleboy 14-02-2009 02:38 PM

Competition and Industrial Coatings (CIC) is where I had my headers coated. Also this was the same shop that coated the headers for the UWA Motorsport car when I was at uni.

chee 14-02-2009 04:18 PM

^^ guys there are excellent and really helped me out.

WRXTASY 15-02-2009 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=BlackSTi]The Headers I am getting are slip fit. Do I need to test fit and then lock them in place or I am right to just get them coated and then sort out the fitting when they go on?[/QUOTE]
I've used CIC in the past as well for Turbo Exhaust housings and headers - excellent work!!.

As for the slip fitting its best you ask them personally - I'm sure they have seen all types.

One tip with a Turbo exhaust housings and headers is that you only want the exterior of them coated - so as to retain heat and not radiate it.

J

MKVIGTI 15-02-2009 01:24 PM

Going to give them a bell monday so no doubt they will have answers.

Don't think I can be bothered pulling the turbo and dump pipe out though unless the headers need test fitting. Then I guess Race Torque can pull it all to pieces and baby sit it for a week.

Not real keen on removing the turbo myself. Can see something going wrong with the reinstall.

BXT 15-02-2009 07:55 PM

Surely the turbo & dump pipe would only be another 15-20 min to remove once the headers are off.....my advice; if your thinking of getting the headers coated, finish the job and get your dump & turbine housing done at the same time, do your heat sheild too if your still using it.....
Made a world of difference to under bonnet temps of my Foz, worth every cent.

chee 15-02-2009 09:51 PM

+1 for the dump and turbine housing.
not sure about coating the heat shield though (cost vs. efficiency)

MKVIGTI 16-02-2009 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=BXT]Surely the turbo & dump pipe would only be another 15-20 min to remove once the headers are off.....my advice; if your thinking of getting the headers coated, finish the job and get your dump & turbine housing done at the same time, do your heat sheild too if your still using it.....
Made a world of difference to under bonnet temps of my Foz, worth every cent.[/QUOTE]

Headers and new up pipe are not fitted. If I only do them I can drop the car off to race torque and pick it up with them fitted and retuned on the same day.

If I do the turbo housing and dump as well then either I have to disassemble it all myself ( the re assembly is probably a bit more than I am keen to give a go ) or leave the car with them for a week or two while I get everything coated.

If the headers need pre fitting before coating then I will probably end up doing the lot but hoping that I won't need to.

The heat shield is still keeping the VF43 company. Havent opened that box in 18 months :D :D :D

Cinaber 22-09-2010 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY;334372]

One tip with a Turbo exhaust housings and headers is that you only want the exterior of them coated - so as to retain heat and not radiate it.

J[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I know its an old thread but thought it might be better to ask here than start a new one.

I want to coat my headers/uppipe and maybe dump pipe, but does the following quote above apply or are you meant to coat inside and outside?
Rang CIC this arvo and they said they do in and out. Can anyone confirm please.

Also, has opinions changed on coating or does it still make a difference that is worth paying for?

BXT 22-09-2010 09:31 PM

Don't know if I believe in coating the inside but outside is def the way to go especially if you're still running a TMIC.