Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   4th Gear crunching? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25111-4th-gear-crunching.html)

Serbaru 25-02-2009 06:39 PM

4th Gear crunching?

Hey guys just havnt got a chance to ask about it...but i have been hearing crunching when changing into 4th gear when on boost from 3rd and sometimes when dropping down from 6th gear going around 110 and dropping to 4th makes a crunch.

Would would the sound of that be? hope its not major.
Possible ideas i gather would be gearbox oils?

car is an 05 sti

Madmaxxx6 25-02-2009 07:20 PM

I'm the same, my car crunches going from 2nd to 3rd, and sometimes also crunches going from 4th to 5th.

I'm thinking it could be the synchro? Any ideas anyone?

I have also been recommended by a few people to switch over to Redline Synthetic oil to see if that makes a difference. I just haven't found the time :(

blue.spec 25-02-2009 07:21 PM

maybe because your at the drags every wednesday night??

MKVIGTI 25-02-2009 07:42 PM

Silly question but do you have the clutch all the way down at the point where 4th gear is engaging. Can do 3rd to 4th very quickly and will usually slip in if you miss time it a little. Getting 1st 2nd or 3rd is harder so you instinctively take a little more care.

Do it occasionally myself.

If gearbox oil is getting a little old and you give it a hammering it would be a good thing to do anyway. The 2 times I have changed mine it shifted really smoothly for a couple of thousand km before slowly getting a little notchy again.

munya 25-02-2009 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=Serbaru]Hey guys just havnt got a chance to ask about it...but i have been hearing crunching when changing into 4th gear when on boost from 3rd and sometimes when dropping down from 6th gear going around 110 and dropping to 4th makes a crunch.

Would would the sound of that be? hope its not major.
Possible ideas i gather would be gearbox oils?

car is an 05 sti[/QUOTE]

have the same problem when shifting from 3rd to 4th have a temp fix for it on my car changed the gear oil to Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil till i get the syncro's fixed later

berrjona 25-02-2009 08:41 PM

had the same when first got the car... took back to subaru and they had to change the synchro and something else out inside the gearbox..... thankyou warranty!!!

Madmaxxx6 25-02-2009 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=blue.spec]maybe because your at the drags every wednesday night??[/QUOTE]

Never dragged the car. I have had the car for roughly 2yrs now, it's kinda had that issue since I got it. :( The problem is on and off, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.

Car went in to Subaru last week for a service, they said the gears didn't crunch when they checked, I drive it home and it crunches. I will be taking it back soon. They don't want to fix or even look at the synchro, because they can't "hear nothing". I could rant all day about said company's dealer servicing, but lets not go there.

How much does a new synchro cost?? However, in saying that my car is still under factory warranty.

Kato 25-02-2009 09:27 PM

If its a synchro on the way out, get it fixed under warranty.

Also are you shifting slowly or buzzing it through the box? Had the gearbox oil replaced recently?

tropikal 25-02-2009 09:27 PM

Sounds like your Synchros are wearing.. chuck sum lightwieght shockproof (blue liquid) stuff in your box .. it fixed my crunching.. =)... If u wana get ur synchros changed it costs you the labour of pulling apart the box and putting back in!.. mite aswell replace anything else damaged while its out and opened! Im suprised its a 6 sp STI box and its having these probs.

agentorange 25-02-2009 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=tropikal]Sounds like your Synchros are wearing.. chuck sum lightwieght shockproof (blue liquid) stuff in your box .. it fixed my crunching.. =)... If u wana get ur synchros changed it costs you the labour of pulling apart the box and putting back in!.. mite aswell replace anything else damaged while its out and opened! Im suprised its a 6 sp STI box and its having these probs.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! first, second or third, yeha maybe, but they're tripple synchro or something anyhow...and on a STi 6MT...and 246hp is not exactly massive numbers...

EDIT: [email]13.0@104...flat[/email] shifting? :D