Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Engine/fuel pump problem 03 sti (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25719-engine-fuel-pump-problem-03-sti.html)

doadrift 26-03-2009 07:51 PM

Engine/fuel pump problem 03 sti

Hey guys my car was having problems starting recently and I couldnt hear the fuel pump priming. It would start fine once I heard the pump prime. It got really bad so i just bought a walbro 255 pump and swapped it over.
Theump was almost an exact swap so it sits in the same spot and everything.
I went to start the car and the pump primed fine but it didn't start. I thought no worries need to build more pressure maybe so did it again.
Still wont start.
I tried heaps of times and now the fuel pump isn't even priming at all. Any idea what this problem could be? I've tried searching but nothing really matches this problem exactly.

GTLeggy 26-03-2009 08:10 PM

Do you have a brant ?

doadrift 26-03-2009 08:13 PM

The button pad alarm system? Yes.

GX-REX 26-03-2009 08:17 PM

I would be checking fuel pump relays first. On the GC8 they have 2 relays not sure about the later models. I had a prob with mine before and sometimes it wouldnt start, other times it would cut out mid corner. It is the cheapest fix so thats where I would start anyway.

GTLeggy 26-03-2009 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=doadrift]The button pad alarm system? Yes.[/QUOTE]

...what you describe is classic "brant-fuk".... they really are poorly made and poorly designed, they can be fixed however by someone who knows how(I know a guy, PM me if you want...I can ask him if he wants to do it.)

doadrift 26-03-2009 09:02 PM

Ok I'll check the relay tomorrow. The wierd thing is that when the old pump primed the car started straight away yet the new walbro pump primed lots of times but the car wouldn't start.
I tried it again just now and it didn't prime but when I cranked it the pump primed after I stopped cranking. It did this a few times and then stopped.

doadrift 26-03-2009 09:09 PM

Sorry for double post but I thought Fuck it and gave it another shot. Fuel pump primed! I'm thinking there might be 2 problems going on here? Possibly the brant problem and the fuel pump relay?

What would cause the car not to start when the fuel pump DOES prime after a new install considering the old pump started fine? Would this be the relay?

RichX 26-03-2009 09:12 PM

Keep in mind that the fuel pump doesn't prime if it's already primed? Well mine doesn't anyway ..

Rossco 26-03-2009 09:31 PM

Fuel pump always primes for a couple of seconds........

you probably don't hear it sometimes after a short stop (the pump is quieter when loaded) but it will still run for 2-4 seconds.

doadrift 26-03-2009 09:34 PM

Yeh thats what I thought. This pump is reasonably loud and I dont hear a thing sometimes.