Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   fuel pump problem? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25887-fuel-pump-problem.html)

Trizo 03-04-2009 07:14 PM

fuel pump problem?

Hey guys,

I got a problem and im hoping a few of you guys can point me in the correct direction as to where it is. Basicly my car aint starting ('97 rex), the battery has plenty of juice and turns over like a charm... the plugs are producing a decent spark to ignite but nothing is happening. Im not sure what else to check to see if its working fine, so im thinking its something wrong with the fuel pump or injectors. Also if it helps, over the last few weeks it hasnt started straight away like it usually would and if im accelerating at steady rate it sometimes has a few really quick surges between 2-3k rpm, a couple per second... not like totally cut out but kinda feels as it if its running on 2 or 3 cylinders for a split moment.

any help would be appreciated,
-Trizo

Rossco 03-04-2009 07:22 PM

how many KM on the car matey?

Modded or stock?

Mister Two 03-04-2009 07:23 PM

does the fuel pump prime before starting? If not, check relays and fuses
check/replace the fuel filter
check fuel pressure and pressure regulator

Trizo 03-04-2009 07:30 PM

thanks for the quick reply's ill go have a look at the fuse in a sec, the car is stock apart from exhaust, done 186,XXXk's.

as for the priming i dont think so cause i cant hear anything as i turn the key to start position. As for the fuel filter and pressure regulator... where are they usually located?

Mister Two 03-04-2009 07:44 PM

Fuel filter is a black round cylinder with 2 lines coming out the top next to the passenger strut tower.

The pressure reg is down next to the intake manifold runner going into the drivers side rear cylinder

Trizo 03-04-2009 08:07 PM

oh ok cool, ill have a look at the reg over the weekend, i was just outside playin around... i pulled the pipes off the fuel filter one at a time to see if the fuel was pumping through the filter or at all and i got no fuel being pumped out at all so that kinda narrows it down a bit.

Rossco 03-04-2009 08:29 PM

"Narrows it down a bit" Yeah to:
Fuel pump, F/pump relay, fuel pump wiring under back seat, fried/ jammed pump, worn out pump, fuses, ecu et al.

could be an alarm issue too.

Trizo 03-04-2009 09:03 PM

ok oh maybe not then, damnit :( is there any of them that its most likely to be?
when i was out playing around i heard a noise that could posibly be the pump priming, maybe its not though. when i have the key in the start position it sounds like an electronis humming sound rather than a pump.

Mister Two 03-04-2009 09:45 PM

When the pump primes you'll hear a whirring for about 3 seconds and then stops.

If no fuel comes out of the fuel filter when the pump is priming then you probably have a blocked fuel filter.

Daaaamien 04-04-2009 01:02 AM

have you taken off the pipes leading into the filter? also maybe try and be rite next to the pump(just behind drivers side passenger seat) and get someone to turn the ignition on for you and see

otherwise remove the pump from petrol tank and have a look at everything

also what were you doing when the car last ran? take it out for a thrash? or moving stuff around the back of car?