Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Alarm/GPS query (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26978-alarm-gps-query.html)

rjb 28-05-2009 04:09 PM

Alarm/GPS query

Hi folks,

I've been searching the forum & need some up to date info regarding after market alarm systems. My car has the standard alarm/immobiliser fitted and I'd like to upgrade the security on it.

I was warned off getting the [url="http://www.brant.com.au/Content_Common/pg-Keypad-Anti-Car-Jacking.seo"]Brandt keypad system[/url] fitted as apparently it'll drain the battery in about a week(?). Considering I work up North & am away for over a week, I didn't think this was a suitable option. The last thing I need is to come back from my stint away to a flat battery. Have I been correctly informed regarding this system or not?

Are there any other alarm systems you guys recommend? What are your experiences with GPS tracking systems? Which one do you recommend?

Cheers,

Rob

Elrico 28-05-2009 04:22 PM

Buy a trickle charger if you are scared it will go flat. Brant is worth its weight in gold, aparently there are better systems out there aswel such as a system called 'Cyclopse" from what ive heard.

smerm07 28-05-2009 04:23 PM

what is this trickle charger you speak of

Elrico 28-05-2009 04:26 PM

Its a charger that tops up your battery over extended periods of time. They are quite effective at making the longevity of your battery better as they do not fully charge, then stop charging for a while, allowing it to drain and then fully charging it again. A cycle like this will eventually kill a battery.

It charges and remains charging in small incriments. I do not have one of these, but will be getting one when i go back up North.

smerm07 28-05-2009 04:27 PM

sweet. can you install them yourself? where/price?

scoobygez 28-05-2009 04:27 PM

Just basically a battery charger that charges slowly :)

scoobygez 28-05-2009 04:28 PM

you dont install it you connect it to your battery on your car in the garage and just leave it to charge :D :D :D

smerm07 28-05-2009 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=scoobygez]you dont install it you connect it to your battery on your car in the garage and just leave it to charge :D :D :D[/QUOTE]
oh, i see now thanks

rjb 28-05-2009 04:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback, but a trickle charger isn't an ideal solution for me at this point in time.

rjb 29-05-2009 11:01 AM

bump - anyone else able to provide me with some more feedback on my questions?

WRXTASY 30-05-2009 12:51 PM

Rob, just confirming that the new 09 WRX does not come with the Brant Keypad Alarm ? (just for the benefit of those reading)

Also the remote locking/unlocking is stuffed on my alarm as well, so I'm on the hunt for a new system too.

I'm still pretty sure the new systems from Brant last far longer than one week also. It was the older ones when the keypad was first introduced that had problems ?

Anyone confirm this ?

rjb 01-06-2009 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Rob, just confirming that the new 09 WRX does not come with the Brant Keypad Alarm ? (just for the benefit of those reading)

Also the remote locking/unlocking is stuffed on my alarm as well, so I'm on the hunt for a new system too.

I'm still pretty sure the new systems from Brant last far longer than one week also. It was the older ones when the keypad was first introduced that had problems ?

Anyone confirm this ?[/QUOTE]

That's correct mate. They're not fitted with the Brandt keypad alarm as standard. Would love to hear from more people on this topic.

NVRENUF 01-06-2009 07:35 PM

Mate all you need is Auto-watch Keypad , And EZITRAK GPS tracking system.

rjb 02-06-2009 11:18 AM

Well I've managed to wrangle Subaru to fit the Brandt keypad for free. I'll let you know how I get on after I've had it for a few weeks.

rjb 04-06-2009 02:06 PM

Looks like I was incorrectly informed as the Brandt keypad is fitted as standard (it's just hidden from view). They just connected it and set the code for me. BTW they flatly refused to give me the master code stating there was no need for me to have it. Here's hoping it's all smooth sailing from here on in.

WRXTASY 04-06-2009 07:40 PM

Funny feeling it may have been in the in cabin fuse cover box, down on the right hand side of the driver dash yes ?

rjb 05-06-2009 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Funny feeling it may have been in the in cabin fuse cover box, down on the right hand side of the driver dash yes ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, spot on.

slg 07-06-2009 09:54 AM

I also work away, but 4 weeks at a time.
I also have the brant keypad alarm system. I have had problems with the battery going flat, but my car is due for a new battery.
All I have been doing is to put the battery on charge as soon as I get home and after a few hours of charging I have been good to go for the 4 weeks that I am home.
I wouldn't replace the brant system as it serves its purpose.

I hope you are happy with it too...

My father-in-law helped me out while I was away and disconnected the battery to charge it up for me and hey presto one fucked up back-up battery in the alarm module.
I had an absolute headache trying to get Subaru to help out as the car was out of warranty by a couple of weeks, not happy. Finally got a sequence from Subaru Aus. to be able to by-pass the alarm and drive it to subaru who would still not give me the master code. They wanted my first born as payment to repair said alarm system.
By some miracle of electrical mystery, it started working fine again.
So even after all of that I like my keypad, good piece of mind after having had all manner of vehicles stolen all because they stole they keys and were able to take my toys.

WRXTASY 15-06-2009 04:20 PM

Rob, your keypad should be backlit at night according to reports off Rexnet.

Sounds like the dealer did not do a proper install job!!!