Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

blommer at standard level
Default Aluminium Lightened Flywheel = Frequent engine stall?

Hi all,

Just replaced the crappy dual-mass flywheel of mine which gave the effect of a slipping clutch despite after 2 clutch changes. And finally got a Fidanza aluminium flywheel.

It weighs about 4.4kg and my concern here is that the revs goes up and down so quickly in between gear changes that sometimes if i were to "clutch in" a bit longer just to watch the rev drop and then engage into gear, I will notice the rev dropping quickly to almost 0rpm and at times it does hit that mark and the engine stalls. (This only happens when car is under load)

this is pretty annoying for easy driving as i really do take my time to engage into gears and i will tend to associate this stalling problem with a faulty MAF sensor or vaccum leaks. I have covered grounds to ensure that these are not the problem with a z32 afm and new silicone vaccum hoses.

Just need opinions from u guys with a lightened flywheel installed on your car and do give me feedbacks on your wrx's driveability..

Cheers
Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Sir AntiLag

PROTOTYPE at standard level
Send a message via MSN to PROTOTYPE

it comes down to the tuning for your idle control. If you have an aftermarket ECU you should be able to change the "clamp" setting or the idle response value to make it react faster to the idle dropping. Generally if you lighten the flywheel you don't have the same inertia as before and therefore the idle will tend to drop a lot faster thus causing the stalling or near stalling... it may also help to pull a bit of timing out around your idle point on your map to try to reduce stalling too.

If you don't know much about your ECU then i would recommend getting a tuner to work on it. If you know it well you will know what i'm talking about.

If you have a stock ecu you may need to play with your idle control valve to raise your idle slightly.

Any further info PM me.

Powered by COSWORTH...
Sponsored by PROTOTYPE CONSULTING, ALLSTAR, NO LIMIT EVENTS
Old 09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

blommer at standard level

Thanks Rob for the quick reply,

I do have a Power FC on my car and it seems that other wrx drivers reckon that with a flywheel change, it should not warrant any changes in the current map i have, hence i did not think of it as a possible solution.

But great advice there..

cheers
Old 09-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

i had the same issue going from the heavy as fark legacy clutch to the twin plate in mine. motec love. a few minutes of tweaking and its perfect now
Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

On the power FC under Setting -> idle/rpm: there is a value that should be around 1000 rpm.....this is the over run fuel cut IN point, raise the value by 100 ~ 200 rpm and see if the ecu catches the rpm earlier and is more stable.

This only changes the rpm at which the ecu starts fuel flow again with the throttle closed (over run cut off), it DOES NOT change anything else in the mapping.

HTH!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 23-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

rjw at standard level

I know this is an old thread but I just got an Aluminium Flywheel put in today in my 05. The car did feel like it wanted to stall but after I reset the ECU it doesn't anymore.

If you're not sure about a lighter flywheel, I definately recommend doing it. My car has much more acceleration and feels a lot lighter (i.e. accelerating, braking, cornering).
Old 23-12-2010, 09:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

6050king at standard level

I just installed a LW flywheel in my Impreza and also had the same stalling problem. What happens is because there is less rotational mass, it causes the car to stall unless the idle is reset. Do a idle reset on your car will take about 15-20 minutes after that, should all be ok.

-To do the reset, start your car and let it idle until the fans come on
- Fans turn off, switch car off and count to 10. Then re-start the car
- Do this from 5 - 10 times.

Tags
aluminium, engine, flywheel, frequent, lightened, stall