Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Which tyre would u recommend? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/27632-tyre-would-u-recommend.html)

damo 02-07-2009 10:39 PM

Which tyre would u recommend?

hey guys just wondering what u all think or could recommend from experince word of mouth or any advice?

i am looking at getting new tyres soon and the 2 tyres i am leaning towards are

Yokohama S-drives

OR

Hankook R-S2

plz let me no any information/advice/expernices with these tyres or any other tyres that u could remmened around the prices of these tyres

Cheers heaps guys

Reguards
Damian

WRXRW 02-07-2009 10:41 PM

haven't had the pleasure of those, but something similar, i recently went for the hankook s1 evo's and im very happy with them.

Terry.Wrist 02-07-2009 11:29 PM

I have S.Drives and am happy with them.
Mine have close to 30,000kms (by calculation), have had one No Limits night on them and very surpisingly still have a lot of life left.
Another tyre to consider is the Bridgestone Adrenalin, I haven't driven on them but have heard good things

V3 RA 03-07-2009 01:34 AM

i have driven on both, adrenaline 16s which were great and s drive 18s which are equally good. Not sure if you can get s drives in 16s damo? They are an expensive tyre but you wont regret it.

astralex 03-07-2009 03:15 AM

I had the Ventus RS-2 on the blue trolley before this current set. Awesome tire in the dry, shithouse in the wet. Apparently they are not legal (?)

muggz 03-07-2009 06:34 AM

ˆˆ
Thats bullshite! Wheels world, Tech 9 tyres and many other places selling RS-2 and i never heard it being illegal? Where did you get that information from?

REXLLENT 03-07-2009 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=WRXRW;374654]haven't had the pleasure of those, but something similar, i recently went for the hankook s1 evo's and im very happy with them.[/QUOTE]

x2 i have a set on as well and like ramon very happy with them

ImPreSiV 03-07-2009 07:42 AM

I had s-drives on my sti. great tyre. ran -2°44' camber on the fronts and did 3 track days in them, plus approx 10000kms and they didn't look like they had even lost any tread. Altho, I had a pretty strict tyre maintenance schedule and had them rotated regularly and made sure pressure was equal every week.

phizzle 03-07-2009 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=muggz;374684]ˆˆ
Thats bullshite! Wheels world, Tech 9 tyres and many other places selling RS-2 and i never heard it being illegal? Where did you get that information from?[/QUOTE]

Possibly from the speed rating Muggz. I've got the Hankook Ventus RS-2's and they are superb in the dry and I haven't had any issues with them in the wet that I didn't expect, as in the car still wants to indersteer if you push to hard into a corner. In saying that they are definitely a dry weather based performance tyre. If it was good enough for a Porsche entering Targa West last year when I got them from Wheels World, it was good enough for my chariot :) As was explained to John, the car is being set up as a weekend motorkhana/sprint based daily driver and that's what he recommended to me.

Apparently the Hankook K107 are a better all weather tyre (cost less per corner too) but I haven't put them on any of my cars. It's just that the compound in the RS-2's is so hard compared to most road based tyres. Hence the designation of RS-2 and also why wet weather performance isn't as good as some other tyres (although again, I can't say they are bad in the wet because I don't think they are at all).

nauli 03-07-2009 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=REXLLENT;374693]x2 i have a set on as well and like ramon very happy with them[/QUOTE]

x3..I've just replaced a set of S1 EVO's (K107) that I had on my STI basically from new. I got almost 40,000km out of them (with constant 2 deg negative camber) and they performed very well albeit a tad noisy when they got down a bit. I would recommend them. The S-Drives are apparently good too as are Bridgestone Adrenalin.

blue.spec 03-07-2009 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;374704]x3..I've just replaced a set of S1 EVO's (K107) that I had on my STI basically from new. I got almost 40,000km out of them (with constant 2 deg negative camber) and they performed very well albeit a tad noisy when they got down a bit. I would recommend them. The S-Drives are apparently good too as are Bridgestone Adrenalin.[/QUOTE]

+4 if had two sets of them (K107) very grippy and handle well in the wet

MY99 03-07-2009 10:26 AM

+5 for the Hankook K107. So much wet + dry grip and with a treadwear rating of 280 (pretty high for a performance tyre) you can't go wrong.

This thread might help: [URL="http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24717&highlight=K107"]K107 vs RS-2 vs RE050[/URL]

Saint_23 03-07-2009 12:27 PM

I had the Bridgestones, now have Yoko A Drive R1's. Would go the Bridgestone again over the Yoko's, but I haven't tried the S drives.

damo 03-07-2009 12:36 PM

Yeh I'm Gona get a set of 17s mite just get the tyres first got a set of17s I'm gona borrow of someone till I find the rims I want hopfully I can get the tyres before collie fingers crossed :p

Adam86 03-07-2009 08:50 PM

bridgestone RE001's
awesome tyre, great wet grip and great dry grip. had for about 40,000'ks not and problem, got another 40 in them, easy....

could not fault these at all...

Adam

Philbo 03-07-2009 10:48 PM

^^

You never drive your car hard anyway Adam :p

NIX WRX 04-07-2009 11:36 AM

+7 (8? 9?) for the K107s

Great everyday, all round tyre that does well in wet & dry. Ran them in 225/40/18. Usually good prices on them are out there if you do your research (esp. interstate)

damo 06-07-2009 09:27 PM

ok guys just looking at some possibilitys i am looking at trying to get some new tyres hopfully before the collie track day and im going to be borrowing some 17" rims of a mate and they are 03 wrx rims so they are 17x7 i think arnt they? just wondering what problems i would come accross fo when i get my new rims down the track i am looking at getting a set of 02sti rims but cant afford or find some just yet but what problems will i have with fitting between the wrx 17x7 and the 02 sti rims? will i have to get thiner tyres for the wrx rims compared to the sti rims?

Mike 06-07-2009 10:09 PM

I can't see you having any fitment troubles between the two, Damo. Any idea on what tyre you're going to go for yet?

Will the STi rims be staying gold or are you going to paint/powdercoat?

. . . . black will look sweet on your car ;)

damo 06-07-2009 10:29 PM

um ok well maby i dont mean fitment issues i mean like getting the widest possible tyre that will fit on the 17x7 wrx rim then realising that its not actually that wide when i go to get the sti rims they arnt actually that wide liek would i be able to get a decent width tyre that fits the sti rim really well?

um im looking at either hankook r-s2 or yokohama s-drives

yeh and im not 100% sure what colour yet :p i just wana get the rims first hahahaha

Mike 06-07-2009 10:38 PM

Fair enough mate. Well the WRX rim is 17x7 and the STi rim is 17x7.5, so I don't reckon you'll have to many dramas with the tyres looking thin on the STi's.

Essentially the width of the tyres should look exactly the same from rim to rim. Just make sure the tyres are wide enough no to be stretched over the STi rims. But with 0.5" difference I doubt it.