Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level
Default Clutch Review

I'm after a new clutch for my MY06 WRX. Before anyone asks, I have searched, but there is very little info regarding a clutch for an 06/07 WRX on here.

The car will be tuned to roughly 230hp at the hubs and 380nm with a turbo back exhaust, fuel pump and air filter.
It will be used as a daily driver with possibly the occassional AHG day.

The main options I have come across so far are:
  • Exedy OEM Replacement: $595
  • Exedy Sports Tuff HD: $695
  • RMS Custom Built HD Clutch: roughly $500 (I was given an installed price of just under $1000 - I believe MMS do them for a similar price too)
Will a HD clutch rip apart the 5 speed WRX box?
I know that the MY06 gearboxes are substantially stronger than previous models but are they strong enough to safely handle a HD clutch? I don't see why not, being a full face organic unit but any feedback is appreciated!!

How do the RMS and MMS custom HD clutches perform?
Is it worth spending an extra $200-$250 on an exedy sports tuff or not? I know that Exedy make decent clutches but I now nothing about these custom, locally built units except that they use them in their rally cars. This sounds like a good thing but do they get replaced every 100km?

Who is the cheapest to purchase from?
Apparently the kits are more expensive for the 06/07 due to it being a push type clutch. I couldn't find any on eBay etc and the suppliers over east are only about $20 less than the above listed CBA prices.
If anyone knows of other suppliers (even someone who gives discounts to trade customers) please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
STI Master

Evidencee at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Evidencee

As long as you use a full face organic clutch disc, a HD pressure plate should not break your WRX 5 speed g/b at your power level. Just stay away from ceramic puck clutches and multiple disc clutches for a stock 5 speed WRX g/b.

I have had a 'RMS/MMS/Auto Clutch' clutch and currently using an Exedy Sports Tuff clutch. Both worked fine for me and happy with both. The locally built ones have a slightly higher pressure rating than the Exedy Sports Tuff, and it certainly felt that way initially, but both felt the same for me once bedded in.
IMO, i would go for the cheaper option between the locally built ones, and the Exedy. Both will do the job as good as each other.

Try ebay for the Exedy Sports Tuff kit. I got mine from ebay Aus for AUD$550 delivered from over east. Search something like "WRX Exedy clutch" or "Exedy sports tuff" and if nothing comes up, have a look through the ebay stores of the sellers who supply Exedy.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
STI Master

Evidencee at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Evidencee

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUBARU-WRX-EX...3A1%7C294%3A50

Race Brakes Sydney, same people i bought mine off. Will be ALOT cheaper than your $695 quote you got if you decide to go with the Exedy.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM