Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Gear box specs (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/27836-gear-box-specs.html)

QUINNER 14-07-2009 09:54 AM

Gear box specs

Just Had my engine decked out with a whole pile of goodies - [url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27797[/url]

And am curious about gear box's i should be looking at getting. I didnt have a whole lot left on my clutch when the work was being started but i'm pretty sure its not gunna last a whole lot longer. If i get a twin plate clutch i'm pretty much gunna need to upgrade the gear box aswell.

So is there any other options other than straght out ~11gs for a twin plate and syncro g/b with straight cut gears?
Are the 6 speed sti g/b's able to handle around 400hp (my target) and and a strong clutch?
or should i stop messin around n just save for the syncro :D.
Just noticed someone else had a SHIT load of problems with their ppg gearbox :eek: , n i'm not interested in constantly fork'n out to rebuild for a car thats not gunna be on track constantly

Kato 14-07-2009 11:31 AM

Straight cuts = noise.
6 speed = stock quiet.

Both will handle good power.

Unless you have a specific need for a 5 speed box, get a 6 speed with a good clutch.

Also, having the 'unbreakable' gearbox will not stop you breaking it if you cant drive (tm).

Once these parts are upgraded, expect the next weakest link to break though.

QUINNER 14-07-2009 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;377120]drive (tm).

Once these parts are upgraded, expect the next weakest link to break though.[/QUOTE]

yeah to be expected. its pretty much never ending once you start messing with something i've come to learn. what would the next weakest link be out of curiosity? or was it just a general statement?

Have notice through some research that most ppl would go the 6 speed. considerable amount heavier though. out with the stereo!!

Kato 14-07-2009 12:23 PM

You'll probably break driveshafts next.

blue.spec 14-07-2009 12:38 PM

button clutch ppg gears i smashed both my drive shafts at the drags

WhiteRX 14-07-2009 01:25 PM

Stock clutch also smashed both front drive shafts on a launch

Mister Two 14-07-2009 02:13 PM

You'd have to be trying pretty hard to break a 6 speed. Clutches and Driveshafts will let go long before a 6 speed would.

6 speeds are about 30Kg heavier than a 5 speed. Triple sychro on 2nd and double on all the others. Front LSD. And DCCD if you want it.

The only thing some people dont like about 6 speeds are the ratios. They are quite close. I prefer it and its good if you got a 2L and you want to keep it on the boil

QUINNER 14-07-2009 05:43 PM

did it end up costin much to get new drive shafts? did ya get stronger ones?

WhiteRX 14-07-2009 05:56 PM

I just replaced them with stock drive shafts, 150~ each. i would prefer to snap shafts than to damage other things, though it really depends on how much grip the tyres have.

I have straight cut gears, and in all honesty, first is a little noisy, but seccond is nearly silent most of the time and i think rebuilding the gearbox is a good option. I kind of wish i went for dog engagement to make driving more interesting, but the ppg gear sets seem quite good.

If you have the money then go for the 6 speed but i do feel the 5 speed has it's applications.

QUINNER 15-07-2009 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX;377251]I just replaced them with stock drive shafts, 150~ each. i would prefer to snap shafts than to damage other things, though it really depends on how much grip the tyres have.

I have straight cut gears, and in all honesty, first is a little noisy, but seccond is nearly silent most of the time and i think rebuilding the gearbox is a good option. I kind of wish i went for dog engagement to make driving more interesting, but the ppg gear sets seem quite good.

If you have the money then go for the 6 speed but i do feel the 5 speed has it's applications.[/QUOTE]

Yeah see i'm not gunna mind so much if i snap somethin thats only gunna cost around 150 so thats good to know. Do you have much trouble with your ppg's or is it really just how you drive it determines weather you break it real easy or not?