Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Name that noise! please help car broken (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/2813-name-noise-please-help-car-broken.html)

POLARBEAR666 11-12-2005 11:31 AM

Name that noise! please help car broken

after a 4000rpm launch last night the car made a big bang noise followed by "thwacka thwacka thwack thwack thwack " rythmical banging that woudl come in and out...

Facts so far:
- car handles fine
- car drives straight
- power seems ok
- axles are not broken
- sometimes amongst the whacking it sounds like one of hte tyres at the back has locked up and is skidding just a little bit.
- noise appears on power on more, power off (neutral) sometimes.

Noise appears to come from the center of the car right near the middle of the underside of the car. (dead center from the front to the back and side to side)

Could I have damaged the driveshaft? or maybe the diff? wouild the car move if the diff was stuffeD?

Denver 11-12-2005 11:59 AM

haven't had one of the bolts that holds the tail shaft centre bearing in place go missing?, thatd cause the tail shaft to slam into the underside of the car a bit..

POLARBEAR666 11-12-2005 12:29 PM

cheers. will check that out.

WRXTATIC 12-12-2005 10:44 AM

I had a diff in an HQ ute loose a couple of teeth on a pinion gear.....bout 350km out of Perth once. Made it back to Perth ok, but the diff went BANG and let go as I was rolling into a workshop to get the noise looked at.

Afterward the guys at the shop gave me an assortment of metal shapes.....which had previously been my diff :(

EXPLICIT 12-12-2005 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Denver]haven't had one of the bolts that holds the tail shaft centre bearing in place go missing?, thatd cause the tail shaft to slam into the underside of the car a bit..[/QUOTE]

As denver said, quite possibly the tailshaft support. I've had it happen when a bolt came loose and sounded a lot worse then it was.

POLARBEAR666 12-12-2005 02:55 PM

DENVER you are the man.. you were 100% correct.

I just sheared the bolt on launch... so getting a new one in at the wok tomoz. Cheers for the help guys.

Denver 12-12-2005 07:43 PM

broke it?, aww

i thought it might have been a case of workshop leaving it loose, dang it..

POLARBEAR666 12-12-2005 08:34 PM

Yeah i deducted marks for that and gave you an 9/10. Hows your dorifto machine going.. can you post an update for everyone.

Denver 13-12-2005 12:53 AM

it went for its cage today

i got the block back from the machinist, im not happy, but im trying to resolve that issue atm so i won't say much..

other than that, people are jerking me around and fucking up my timeline, its making me grumpy and loose sleep..

atm it _might_ make motorvation, running, most likely not runing, but we'll see, a miricle might occur