Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   HELP: SARD FPR install problems (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/28234-help-sard-fuel-pressure-regulator-install-problems.html)

Mister Two 29-07-2009 05:23 PM

HELP: SARD FPR install problems

I just installed a SARD FPR today and im having fuel pressure problems.

I set base pressure with the vac line off at 39psi as per OEM specifications

Problem is that when I hit boost the fuel pressure doesnt increase with boost pressure enough.

Im set for 16psi of boost. But Fuel pressure is only going up to 43psi at max boost. Only 4psi over base pressure. It should be up to at least 55psi.

I did re-connect the vac line and I cant see any leaks.

Does it matter where I plumb in the guage to check pressure? I have it T-eed in on the fuel line right after the fuel filter

Whats going on? Faulty FPR?

Mister Two 29-07-2009 06:46 PM

Something else I noticed too is that the fuel pressure when priming is slow to build compared to the OEM FPR making for a rough start, and that after I switch off the engine, the fuel pressure almost immediately drops to 9psi. With the OEM FPR, It used to hold pressure after switching off for a fair while.

teejay 29-07-2009 10:58 PM

Sounds like its a shizen FPR.

Knowing you, you have a fresh filter in it etc. What pump?

waxdass 29-07-2009 11:14 PM

sure u plumbed it correctly?

Iv got one and it acts normally. I have the gauge plumbed into the FPR itself.

If it is a dodgy unit - i'l sell u mine as I got something else coming :D

Mister Two 29-07-2009 11:21 PM

Yep. Fresh Fuel Filter

Ive got it plumbed with the fuel line from the rails going into the top port and coming out the bottom going to the fuel tank return.

Tomorrow Im going to run an OEM FPR in the SARD's location. If my problem goes away, it will confirm the dead SARD FPR.

I have also checked for leaks. I clamped the return line to push the pressure up over 60psi and checked all the new fittings and no problems.

tuna 30-07-2009 06:57 AM

i wouldnt recommend an aftermarket fpr unless you were running over 90% duty and had a massive fuel pump.

Mister Two 30-07-2009 09:10 AM

I opted for a aftermarket FPR simply because my OEM FPR was failing. It was doing something similar to what the SARD is doing now but not on such a large scale. It was still rising fuel pressure 10psi. But still not enough to match boost increases.

Plus I am running over 90% duty. I do have a Walbro fuel pump installed, but its not massive of course.

tuna 30-07-2009 09:34 AM

tiny injectors or lots of boost?

Mister Two 30-07-2009 09:51 AM

tiny injectors (380cc) and 16psi through a vf28. Not exactly lots of boost, but enough to max out tiny injectors.

tuna 30-07-2009 09:56 AM

i'd check the pump delivery, somethings not adding up!

stock fpr is more then adequate for that!