Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   changing gears (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/30094-changing-gears.html)

jessw 10-11-2009 12:30 AM

changing gears

Hi, i tried to search but after looking for ages i couldnt see what i needed. (sorry if it has been a subject before :))
I have an 02 STI and im struggling to have a smooth take off. For example ill be sitting at lights i get clutch to point and go through the motions but the car jerks a bit (bunnyhops) then i find my speed and from there to 2nd gear onwards is all smooth and awesome to drive. (i havent stalled it yet) The only way i can do without the shudder is to ease in real slow and then pick up speed.
My 01 wrx stn wgn i had no probs with is it to do with the 6speed??? What is the best way for me to achieve a quick and smoothe take off?

MY99 10-11-2009 01:38 AM

Next time you take off, watch the tacho to see if the RPMs drop rapidly as you reach the friction point (to around or below idle ~800rpm). If so, you are letting the clutch out too quickly or not applying enough throttle (or a combination of both).

I find that people often think that their clutch is creating issues but it's actually the engine struggling with a lack of torque at very low rpm. It can be a pain getting used to a new car/clutch :(

Good luck!

Luigi 10-11-2009 02:12 AM

Dialup 7000rpm with the clutch in.

Drop the clutch and keep your foot planted.

Problem Solved :P

On a more serious note as MY99 has advised give the car some more revs but try not to ride the clutch at the same time. The 2.5L engine has more torque on tap down low than the 2L do.

Rossco 10-11-2009 03:35 AM

aim to hold the rpm around 1000 rpm during the initial clutch slip / as the car begins to move...Problem solvered.

Kato 10-11-2009 07:34 AM

What clutch/flywheel are you running?

redlib 10-11-2009 08:43 AM

Well provided your driving all fine and still doing it, sounds like you have got your self a case of clutch shudder, bit like brake shudder, just with the clutch and flywheel.

My solution, take it to a mechanic or some1 you trust that knows what there on about, and see what they say. But i would say you would either need the flywheel machined or replaced and a new clutch.

Taktics 10-11-2009 10:06 AM

Twinplate mayb?

[REXPLOIT] 10-11-2009 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=jessw;407681]Hi, i tried to search but after looking for ages i couldnt see what i needed. (sorry if it has been a subject before :))
I have an 02 STI and im struggling to have a smooth take off. For example ill be sitting at lights i get clutch to point and go through the motions but the car jerks a bit (bunnyhops) then i find my speed and from there to 2nd gear onwards is all smooth and awesome to drive. (i havent stalled it yet) The only way i can do without the shudder is to ease in real slow and then pick up speed.
My 01 wrx stn wgn i had no probs with is it to do with the 6speed??? What is the best way for me to achieve a quick and smoothe take off?[/QUOTE]

^

Our cars when released were notably 'doughy' and had a big torque 'hole' under 4k. That said, when I had the OEM clutch in, I didnt really 'ride it' to get going, but I was able to just lift off without a throttle 'blip'. So do you know if its still the standard hardware? In any case, it will just involve finding that 'sweet spot' (RPM) that when you match this and a rapid (not sidestep :D) clutch lift, you will find it smooth.

Heck - you've got to have it better than blipping the throttle to 2k to get going... ;) But when im serious about moving off in a hurry, I use almost the exact technique that Luigi said... ;) :p

Brent.
:)

jessw 10-11-2009 03:34 PM

okay well i m heading out this arvo so ill try on with all your advice. Let you know how i go i know my rpm is up there but i think with the louder exhaust sometimes scares me off pushing it further....is there actually anywhere i can go that i can practice like a huge big empty carpark without getting hassled??

nauli 10-11-2009 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=jessw;407845]okay well i m heading out this arvo so ill try on with all your advice. Let you know how i go i know my rpm is up there but i think with the louder exhaust sometimes scares me off pushing it further....is there actually anywhere i can go that i can practice like a huge big empty carpark without getting hassled??[/QUOTE]

Yes, the '02 STi's always were a bit tricky off the line at normal speeds due in part to the initial lag...wait 'til you try it with the aircond on!
You just need to give the throttle a bit of a tickle off the line.

...and Brent, when did you put an OEM clutch in yours?