Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Brakes Issues - 2003 WRX (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/30208-brakes-issues-2003-wrx.html)

grbelja 17-11-2009 12:45 PM

Brakes Issues - 2003 WRX

Hi Guys,

The last couple of days my right front brake has been gradually locking on its own as you drive (not hard, it;s a gradula thing over 5km) - almost to a complete stop. I've had to pull over and wait for the brake to cool before it releases itself and allows me to drive for a limited time before it gradully does it again. The brake pedal stiffens as you drive is the best way to explain it.

Any ideas?? I'm crap with brakes!

Cheers

Mister Two 17-11-2009 12:53 PM

This is a pretty serious safety issue. Take it to a mechanic. Dont try to fuck around with it on the forums.

RICOCHET 17-11-2009 01:05 PM

+1
Why do people bother trying to save a bit cash when it comes to serious issues like this with there car. My first stop would have been a mechanic!

BALISTC 17-11-2009 01:22 PM

Could be proportioning valve issue, could be sticking pistons. Either way, get it sorted!

RUSSGT 17-11-2009 01:41 PM

Do you drive with your foot rsting on the brake at all? Like left foot braking?

grbelja 17-11-2009 04:20 PM

Before anyone else tells me to go to a mechanic again - I was booked in immediately when it started.

I posted this question because I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas because it's always easier if you a little educated before you see a mechanic as they can rip you off.

B4BOY - who said I wanted to save some cash? Just answer the question in the future with an educated answer. It will make this forum worthy.

Rossco 17-11-2009 05:14 PM

It COULD be:

Sticking caliper pistons.

Foreign material (stone) stuck between pad backing & caliper, wedging the pad and stopping it from lifting off the disc.

Pads binding on the pad slide pins, preventing the pad from releasing.

1 x Stuck ABS modulator solenoid, preventing fluid return to the master cylinder and presurising the RHF brake line.

RICOCHET 17-11-2009 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=grbelja;409457]Before anyone else tells me to go to a mechanic again - I was booked in immediately when it started.

I posted this question because I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas because it's always easier if you a little educated before you see a mechanic as they can rip you off.

B4BOY - who said I wanted to save some cash? Just answer the question in the future with an educated answer. It will make this forum worthy.[/QUOTE]

In future state all the facts in the first post, because it sounded like every other "I have this problem....(but haven't taken it to a mechanic)"

My next question is are you still driving this car?

grbelja 18-11-2009 03:34 PM

Thanks Russco!

The car is sitting in my garage until next week. I was going to take the wheel off on the weekend and check it out - like Russco said - it may be something as simlpe as a foreign matter. Cheers all.

22B-Andy 10-12-2009 07:43 PM

The 4 pot callipers are prone to piston seizure, so that is a favorite in my mind. could be a hose breaking down but doubtful m8e.
i dont mind having a look if your anywhere near Darch :)