Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Where to get electric heater box (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/30226-where-get-electric-heater-box.html)

trainwrex 18-11-2009 11:20 AM

Where to get electric heater box

Hey guys,

looking to get an electric heater box to replace my Subaru heater box setup.

They are commonly used in the hot rod scene I've been told. Anyone know where I can locate one? Or a hot rod supplier?

Strubaru 18-11-2009 11:32 AM

just don't get one of those 12v ceramic ones from jaycar, they're shit & don't pack out enough heat to even defrost your winscreen tino

GX-REX 18-11-2009 11:46 AM

I would be trying the 12 volt shop in Welshpool.

trainwrex 18-11-2009 11:58 AM

There's a place called Aussie desert cooler which sell two halves one for each end of the windscreen. He said that it plugs into the cigarette lighter and rubs continously but can be garwured and made to work with a switch.

But I'm thinking if it's powered by cigarette lighter than it may not gave enough juice to demist the windscreen?

They only cost 100 for the pair but I'd want it to work

Strubaru 18-11-2009 12:02 PM

i had my old ceramic heater plugged into the cig lighter on my audi, it drew so much current that it blew the fuse so i put a bigger one in & then it melted the wiring on the back LOL, ended up hard wiring it with a toggle switch directly to the battery ha

i would get it wired up properly with relays etc if it going to be drawing a decent amount of current (any decent heater will)

trainwrex 18-11-2009 12:12 PM

hEy chris did it demist the window sufficiently?

Where did u get one from? Yes Macey is going to wire it up direct to the battery with a relay using my standard aircon switch.

Strubaru 18-11-2009 12:17 PM

err kinda, i never had it properly ducted in, just sat it on the passenger seat pointed at the windcreen, it was enough to see out of but it didn't blow really hot, its still in my garage doing nothing if you want to have a play/test of it, maybe if it was ducted in properly and you had one on each side under the dash it would work

edit: looks lik this

[IMG]http://www.chine-taiwan.com/ImageAutotek/AT848.JPG[/IMG]

EXPLICIT 18-11-2009 12:39 PM

Tino, why not demister bars instead? If you're gonna save weight then that's the ultimate option.

trainwrex 18-11-2009 12:40 PM

Is is a dual stage fan? Or plugged in just works continusely??

Strubaru 18-11-2009 12:40 PM

now thats a heaps better idea jme, race spec

edit: tino, i think it has on/off switch and a second high/low switch

trainwrex 18-11-2009 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;409713]Tino, why not demister bars instead? If you're gonna save weight then that's the ultimate option.[/QUOTE]

Demistor bars? How thin are they JMe? Have u got a link to them? Can u get them locally?

I've got all the heater boxes out ATM due to the engine bay abd I don't have aircon so can't justify them being there.

EXPLICIT 18-11-2009 01:10 PM

Think long and hard about it mate, once that heater box/fan is out, there goes ANY air regulation in the car. Great if its an all out race car but im still thinking the car will be driven to work on the odd occasion.

The V8 supercar series show's them in use. I've not looked into it but I'd assume trying your race supplies i.e. revolution and dick wards. Speak to LF im sure Ian, Mike or Mat can point you in the right direction and advise on the pro's and cons.

dtrally 18-11-2009 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;409725] there goes ANY air regulation in the car. [/QUOTE]

You'll be delivering Pizzas in it to pay off the new engine so you better keep the vent system to blow the garlic smell out.

All the fancy electric and lightweight water boxes will struggle to demist the screen. Either buy a WRC heated winnie @ a few $thou or put the stock one back in minus the AC evap. I tried just about everything in my rally car and went back to stock in frustration.

Pimpreza 18-11-2009 01:33 PM

Or if you want a really small water operated one, have a look under the drivers seat of a 60 series Landcruiser, they have a very compact stand alone heater with a fan, gave my old one to a mate with a MG TC, he loved it.

jEstEr? 18-11-2009 03:52 PM

Tino do not get anything electric, especially with the size of your battery.

trainwrex 18-11-2009 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;409725]Think long and hard about it mate, once that heater box/fan is out, there goes ANY air regulation in the car. Great if its an all out race car but im still thinking the car will be driven to work on the odd occasion.

The V8 supercar series show's them in use. I've not looked into it but I'd assume trying your race supplies i.e. revolution and dick wards. Speak to LF im sure Ian, Mike or Mat can point you in the right direction and advise on the pro's and cons.[/QUOTE]

Air regulation for what though JME?? I have manual air conditioning remember. Dont have air con so theres not much use execpt for demisting the front window..

trainwrex 18-11-2009 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally;409730]You'll be delivering Pizzas in it to pay off the new engine so you better keep the vent system to blow the garlic smell out.

All the fancy electric and lightweight water boxes will struggle to demist the screen. Either buy a WRC heated winnie @ a few $thou or put the stock one back in minus the AC evap. I tried just about everything in my rally car and went back to stock in frustration.[/QUOTE]

Maybe i might just do that Doug.. Remove the ancillary air con boxes and keep the central core heater box for demisiting..

EJ20TLEONE 18-11-2009 10:52 PM

Alan at Armadale Auto Parts has them on the shelf.. 12v jobbies that is..

dtrally 18-11-2009 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;410025]Maybe i might just do that Doug.. Remove the ancillary air con boxes and keep the central core heater box for demisiting..[/QUOTE]

One way to simplify it without reinventing the wheel is to delete the evaporator box (the AC one) and relocate the fan blower directly to the heater box inlet. That way all your OE switchgear still functions, air can be directed hot or cool (not cold) to anywhere you like. I did this on my GC8 due to the cage being right where the fan was previously.

EXPLICIT 18-11-2009 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;410024]Air regulation for what though JME?? I have manual air conditioning remember. Dont have air con so theres not much use execpt for demisting the front window..[/QUOTE]

Sit in a car in 30 degree heat with helmet, gloves, full length clothing no insulation and a toasty driveline, you'll wish for ANYTHING that moves air.
Just wear a sponge in your helmet lining, it'll help absorb the soul glow :D

trainwrex 19-11-2009 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;410037]Sit in a car in 30 degree heat with helmet, gloves, full length clothing no insulation and a toasty driveline, you'll wish for ANYTHING that moves air.
Just wear a sponge in your helmet lining, it'll help absorb the soul glow :D[/QUOTE]

Called a roof vent Jme. I know ur gx isn't special enough to come with one. Haha

trainwrex 19-11-2009 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;410032]One way to simplify it without reinventing the wheel is to delete the evaporator box (the AC one) and relocate the fan blower directly to the heater box inlet. That way all your OE switchgear still functions, air can be directed hot or cool (not cold) to anywhere you like. I did this on my GC8 due to the cage being right where the fan was previously.[/QUOTE]

Doug this sounds like a good option. We can sort it out when u come round for the engine. I don't have aircon so there's no need for the ac box or to direct air from the sides.

I will have to get the controls for the fans to be wired in separately as I've lost all control with them because of the motec stealing them for dual injectors. Haha

jEstEr? 19-11-2009 02:10 PM

roof vent is only good when moving tino, sitting in line at the Evo vs WRX day with the windows down and the roof scoop open i was still roasting.

trainwrex 19-11-2009 02:18 PM

STop being a whiney little girl. I did it last summer in scorching heat and survived fine.

jEstEr? 19-11-2009 02:24 PM

with long sleeve shirt, gloves and helmet?

EVL WRX 19-11-2009 02:36 PM

call me crazy, but isn't it a requirement by law to have a working heater in a road registered car to demist windscreen/windows? Fuck getting a yellow on your car tino for something dumb like not having a heater!!!

AWDmoke 19-11-2009 03:02 PM

Yes, it is a requirement, but I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone being stopped by the cops for a heater check. I think there would be other things they would be looking at on this car.

urabus 19-11-2009 03:31 PM

I thought I put a post up yesterday but alas it disapeared. I looked at getting the front screen with the bars in it for my GC8. There was a guy on rexnet selling them landed in WA for about $900. Seemed like a really good idea but CAMS scrutineer said it was a bit taboo. Especially considering I also figured I might aswell rip the vast majority of the dash out as it was not doing a lot.

From memory you just wire them into the switch on the dash for the rear demister and run them both at the same time.

I still have the fan box in my car and if it is hot lets be honest. It does not really push enough air around to do bugger all.

Brendon

trainwrex 19-11-2009 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=EVL WRX;410281]call me crazy, but isn't it a requirement by law to have a working heater in a road registered car to demist windscreen/windows? Fuck getting a yellow on your car tino for something dumb like not having a heater!!![/QUOTE]

thats why im wanting to get a replacement heater....

trainwrex 19-11-2009 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=urabus;410337]I thought I put a post up yesterday but alas it disapeared. I looked at getting the front screen with the bars in it for my GC8. There was a guy on rexnet selling them landed in WA for about $900. Seemed like a really good idea but CAMS scrutineer said it was a bit taboo. Especially considering I also figured I might aswell rip the vast majority of the dash out as it was not doing a lot.

From memory you just wire them into the switch on the dash for the rear demister and run them both at the same time.

I still have the fan box in my car and if it is hot lets be honest. It does not really push enough air around to do bugger all.

Brendon[/QUOTE]

Yes i agree have had the same situation without air con.. Moving hot air does fk all if u cant cool it. But when moving the roof vent works very well..

I would be interested if there were thin bars that were on either the bottom or top of window and actually were stuck on them so in case of windscreen breaking that it could be replaced without loosing 1k+ in getting a new windscreen.

But as doug as said i will most probaly remove excess junk and just keep central heater system..

EXPLICIT 19-11-2009 10:01 PM

Demister bars need to run through the guts of the glass to be effective.