Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Brandt POS Alarm Woes (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/30821-brandt-pos-alarm-woes.html)

RallySti 14-12-2009 07:16 PM

Brandt POS Alarm Woes

OK, so the Brandt alarm has died again :mad: 2 control boxes and three keypads in 4 years and I have had enough....

Has anyone ripped theirs out and if so, what did you replace it with ????

Cheers in advance

Paul

Luigi 14-12-2009 07:22 PM

For starters I always thought it was a BRANT without the D.

Mine has yet to fault in past 3 years I have had my car.

There is plenty of alarms/immobilisers thats other have used if they are having problems with there BRANT system.

Rossco 14-12-2009 07:22 PM

Autowatch 446RLI premium FTW!

RallySti 14-12-2009 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=Luigi;415912]For starters I always thought it was a BRANT without the D.

Mine has yet to fault in past 3 years I have had my car.

There is plenty of alarms/immobilisers thats other have used if they are having problems with there BRANT system.[/QUOTE]

You're lucky you have had no issues, if you have a quick google search, you will find there are numerous threads on all sorts of forums about problems with the BRANT without the D :)

After giving Subaru the best part of $1000 in 4 years, I think I'll take my chances with another alarm...I can't stomach to give Subaru anymore money for something that just doesn't last...

bumpstop 14-12-2009 08:34 PM

I've removed plenty of Brants and fitted either Autowatch 555's so that the factory key remote is still used, or Autowatch 446's and 446 premiums, both of which then have their own remote.

[url]http://www.autowatch.com.au/[/url]

Rexy03 14-12-2009 08:44 PM

What was wrong with them ?

bumpstop 14-12-2009 09:12 PM

I can't really give an accurate answer because a lot of the time people would just say they are sick and tired of their Brant playing up. I know for some it was immobilisation problems, others disarming frustrations, etc.

RallySti 14-12-2009 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Rexy03;415932]What was wrong with them ?[/QUOTE]

1) Keypad not functioning correctly, enter number, nothing happens. (when it happens 10k's south of Pinjarra at 4am after fixing a flat tyre...not too happy) new keypad, new control unit. Probably didn't need a keypad, but I got it anyway.
2) enter code, light comes up on the dash, but will not start.
3) After replacing a battery (and keeping power to the car) the Brant would not even light up the keypad. Failed Keypad
4)Keypad not functioning correctly again, new keypad required.
5)Keypad makes some noise, occasional lights, But car will start anyway. Another failed control unit...

There ya go....all that in 4 years...

You can keep your Brants....

tiddy 14-12-2009 09:53 PM

Be like me, no alarm hehehe
The key has a chip in it anyway, isn't that enough?

Rexy03 14-12-2009 09:57 PM

Hmmm you have had a bad run,
I have had my share of trouble with mine, but easy fixes where available.
I had a keypad die, $50 for a new one and fitted it myself, which I prefered, as I am sure it was a dodgy installation that caused the malfunction.
have had to do the resolder dry joints trick on the fuel pump relays inside the control module.
and I have had a few glitches after disconecting the battery, and have confused it a few times after pushing the wrong buttons, but over all after six years mines been pretty good.
Im interested in what you swap it with and how it performs compared to the Brant, so keep us informed

SweLLy 14-12-2009 10:17 PM

some people like them, some hate them.

I think you have just been extremely unlucky, if i was you i would switch over alarms saves the raging :)

RallySti 14-12-2009 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=bumpstop;415930]I've removed plenty of Brants and fitted either Autowatch 555's so that the factory key remote is still used, or Autowatch 446's and 446 premiums, both of which then have their own remote.

[url]http://www.autowatch.com.au/[/url][/QUOTE]

How much to fit a 555 ??? and remove Brant of course

WRP10 14-12-2009 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=SweLLy;415952]some people like them, some hate them.

I think you have just been extremely unlucky, if i was you i would switch over alarms saves the raging :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it seems like youre either lucky or unlucky with them, personally never had any problems with it at all but have seen/heard many others being a pain in the arse,

As stated if its that big an issue get an autowatch because Subaru wont be able to do very much at all to fix it for you as apparently they just install them once the cars get into the country so theres next to no guarantees on them

RallySti 15-12-2009 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=WRP10;415967]Yeah it seems like youre either lucky or unlucky with them, personally never had any problems with it at all but have seen/heard many others being a pain in the arse,

As stated if its that big an issue get an autowatch because Subaru wont be able to do very much at all to fix it for you as apparently they just install them once the cars get into the country so theres next to no guarantees on them[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have been very unlucky apparently, and it's the fact Subaru are unwilling to warrant them that gets my back up. Managed to get 1 item changed under warranty, then a "special price" the second time, then it was all up to me after that. Not that I am having a go at Subaru, I've had enough trouble with Ford, Holden and Mitsubishi over the years on warranty items.

jessw 15-12-2009 12:20 AM

We had problem in the 01, after about 2 years with no worries it became erratic and mostly never worked, got it reset and didnt have any problems after that.
Just recently in the STi it went skitz. I was stuck in car for 5mins with the alarm going on/off, couldnt do anything til it decided to calm down. Subaru reset it been fine since. We seem to be unlucky too.
Do the autowatch 555s come with the antihijack too??

BALISTC 15-12-2009 07:52 AM

The problem is, you spelled it incorrectly.

Not sure why everyone thinks its BRANDT, its written as its pronounced. BRANT.

bumpstop 15-12-2009 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=jessw;415971]
Do the autowatch 555s come with the antihijack too??[/QUOTE]

Yes, 555's have antihijack capability, it's a feature you need to specify that you want working, and usually incurs an additional charge over the price of a standard fitment.

Rally Sti, I'll send you a pm later today :)

RallySti 15-12-2009 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;415984]The problem is, you spelled it incorrectly.

Not sure why everyone thinks its BRANDT, its written as its pronounced. BRANT.[/QUOTE]

OK, don't know why it matters so much, but read the first couple of posts....

RallySti 15-12-2009 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=bumpstop;415986]Yes, 555's have antihijack capability, it's a feature you need to specify that you want working, and usually incurs an additional charge over the price of a standard fitment.

Rally Sti, I'll send you a pm later today :)[/QUOTE]

Ta mate

jessw 27-02-2010 10:59 PM

didnt want to start a new thread just wanted to know if there is someone i can pm about a query with brant checked the manual from another post but it didnt give me what i was after
cheers jess

Rexy03 27-02-2010 11:22 PM

ask away ?

ryandarcy 28-02-2010 02:26 PM

all ears

tcs242 07-03-2010 06:27 PM

Hi guys,

ive been having some seriously stupid problems with my brant atm.

one day it works, the next it doesnt... two trips to subaru, 4 visits from the rac and its still not right... no-one knows whats wrong!!

so ive come to the conclusion im replacing it with an aftermarket. the autowatch 555 looks like my best bet, but cost is my only concern.

any ideas how much to remove and replace???

Caitlin 15-03-2010 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;415950]Be like me, no alarm hehehe
The key has a chip in it anyway, isn't that enough?[/QUOTE]

Did you get urs disconnected?

I've had problems with mine and Subaru are telling me to get it disconnected not replaced.

Caitlin 15-03-2010 11:11 AM

My questions is why the hell are we paying for these problems when it's obviously Subaru's fault in fitting a dodgy system! Has anyone claimed compensation from Subaru?

Kato 15-03-2010 11:14 AM

Compensation? For what exactly?

Also if you remove this system, make sure you tell your insurance company as you will no longer have insurance without replacing it with something like an Autowatch.

Caitlin 15-03-2010 11:17 AM

Compensation for the cost of replacing the system?

Luigi 15-03-2010 11:17 AM

I must be lucky as I have never had a problem with mine after 3 years.

Kato 15-03-2010 11:21 AM

I never had a problem with mine in the 4 years I owned my MY05.

Subaru will fix the alarm if the car is still under warranty. There is your compensation. If it is outside of warranty... Tough titties. Same as if your air con breaks down or what not, you need to sort it out then.

Caitlin 15-03-2010 11:25 AM

yeah I understand the insurance issues.. The Autowatch seems to be a good replacement (as talked about in these threads).

My reasoning for the compensation is that I am assuming it's a manufacture/installation error with the system.. it's not due to buyer neglect, wear or age that has caused the problem?
Sorry getting annoyed with this problem..

Caitlin 15-03-2010 11:28 AM

I think this is a little bit different to aircon dude

Kato 15-03-2010 11:38 AM

It is completely the same.

What year is your car? Is it in warranty? How come so many other people have these systems with no problems?

jEstEr? 15-03-2010 12:15 PM

Does Caitlan have something to sell?