Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   P2127 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "E" Circuit Low Input (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/30894-p2127-throttle-pedal-position-sensor-switch-e-circuit-low-input.html)

Shodown 17-12-2009 02:16 PM

P2127 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "E" Circuit Low Input

Hi All,

About a 4-6 weeks ago, I experienced my first CEL on my MY06 wrx - entered limp mode and cruise light flashing just 50m from my house, so I took our commonwhore out instead that night, got home and did the 10 start reset so I would at least be able to drive it to get it checked out in the morning.

Rang Subaru the next morning and some Muppet advised me that doing the 10 start would wipe any trace of the error code (I was sure it would have been placed into an event/history buffer of some kind but he said no....) and he advised me to keep an eye on the car, if it were serious it would come straight back or would not allow me to clear it.

Regardless......the car has run fine for the past 4-6 weeks.

Last night was dropping my boss off after leaving our work Xmas do and another CEL and limp mode, just getting out of the car park (again like 50m from my starting point). Embarrassing to say the least, but I knew my boss had an ODB2 diag tool, so we got to his place (slowly) plugged it in and got the P2127 error above. Rang Subaru and this time the guy who answered was more than just a desk jockey and confirmed my previous suspicions regarding buffer and also advised that this didn't appear to be a serious fault and I have it booked in next week for a service anyway.

Can anyone shed light on the above error or had similar issue? I don't just want to grab my ankles next week and hope for the best.....

Also scared the intermittent nature of this problem will probably make it a pain to diagnose..and Subaru would more than likely just want to replace any related components to fix the issue....not worrying about the $$$ as its salary sacrifice....

Cheers

Kevin

jungleboy 17-12-2009 03:13 PM

Because you have the code it should make life a lot easier.

P2127 indicates a problem with the accelerator pedal wiring or possibly the pedal position sensor itself. It could just be a problem with a connector between the pedal sensor and the ECU.

Try to find the connector for the pedal and spray a bit of contact cleaner in there. If the code continues to occur, it may be a problem with the pedal position sensor itself.

Shodown 17-12-2009 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=jungleboy;416661]Because you have the code it should make life a lot easier.

P2127 indicates a problem with the accelerator pedal wiring or possibly the pedal position sensor itself. It could just be a problem with a connector between the pedal sensor and the ECU.

Try to find the connector for the pedal and spray a bit of contact cleaner in there. If the code continues to occur, it may be a problem with the pedal position sensor itself.[/QUOTE]

Hey Jungleboy,

Yeah, I have the PDF manuals and it runs through the diagnostic information (measure voltages and resistance etc). I take it the acc pedal sensor is behind / above the pedal?

I also assume that ECM in the manual = ECU?

I was thinking either possible short/open circuit somewhere in nearby wiring or in sensor.....or perhaps corrosion/build-up on a connector....

Seems as though it only just a momentary thing that is causing it which I think is reminiscent of a broken wire or corroded contact personally.....but as this is only the second time it has happened in the 5 months I've had the car its not a major fault yet and I don't think will be easy to track......

I was just hoping someone on the off chance that someone here has experienced the same thing and could point me ion the right direction of what worked for them.....

Rossco 17-12-2009 04:50 PM

Check the pedal mountings for cracks, a cracked mount will allow the sensor assembley flex and lose contact momentarily.

Shodown 17-12-2009 04:55 PM

Thanks Rossco,

I was waiting for your response :) you always provide sound advice

WhiteRX 17-12-2009 06:35 PM

how is your battery? when the batterys are starting to fail, they bring up all sorts of throttle control codes.

Rexy03 17-12-2009 07:31 PM

also check the sensor connection plug and give it a clean with a bit of air

RUSSGT 18-12-2009 10:10 AM

Wouldnt it be under warrenty?

Shodown 18-12-2009 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;416805]Wouldnt it be under warrenty?[/QUOTE]

yes and no....

05 registered MY06, Subi warranty is over but Salary Sacrificing Co provide aftermarket warranty for 3 yrs on top of manufacturers.....

Although, like most after market warranties, i havent yet tested it to see whether its worth the paper its written on.....

Shodown 14-05-2010 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=jungleboy;416661]Because you have the code it should make life a lot easier.

Try to find the connector for the pedal and spray a bit of contact cleaner in there. If the code continues to occur, it may be a problem with the pedal position sensor itself.[/QUOTE]

Forgot to provide an update on this one.... :D

Looks like it was just a faulty/loose contact. I disconnected, blew it out and sprayed contact cleaner. Asked City Subaru to look it over whilst is was in for a service. They measured voltages etc whilst they had it and took apart connectors and sprayed contact cleaner, it has been nearly six months with no re-occurance.