Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   broken bolt (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/31454-broken-bolt.html)

tiddy 15-01-2010 12:34 AM

hey dude.... any luck with that check engine light? i think it was you....

rstasy 15-01-2010 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;423130]hey dude.... any luck with that check engine light? i think it was you....[/QUOTE]

CEL 21 - coolant temp sensor. doesn't make the car run badly whatsoever - it's just a bitch during cold starts, as the ECU assumes the car is running stupidly hot, to the point where it enrichens the mixture and turns the radiator fans on.

quite a nice little precaution, and makes me warm the car up every morning. just don't want to imagine the troubles during winter i'll have with it - so i'll definately have to have it rectified by then.

protip: don't spray water on the top of the heads after cleaning up a coolant spillage. i learnt the hard way :(

rstasy 15-01-2010 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;423130]hey dude.... any luck with that check engine light? i think it was you....[/QUOTE]

CEL 21 - coolant temp sensor. doesn't make the car run badly whatsoever - it's just a bitch during cold starts, as the ECU assumes the car is running stupidly hot, to the point where it enrichens the mixture and turns the radiator fans on. makes for sweeeeeeet backfire in the mornings but, the neighbours love me :rolleyes:

quite a nice little precaution, and ensures the car is properly warmed up prior to driving. just don't want to imagine the troubles during winter i'll have with it when OAT is obviously lower - so i'll definately have to have it rectified by then. the constant check engine light being on also gets on my nerves..

protip: don't spray water on the top of the heads after cleaning up a coolant spillage. i learnt the hard way :(

tiddy 15-01-2010 12:47 AM

haha thats just silly, nice lil crack in the heads?
mine was fun in cold starts, starts up on the second crank haha. n then runs like shit so i let it idle for a bit.
new engine soon so hopefully that fixes it :)

rstasy 15-01-2010 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;423134]haha thats just silly, nice lil crack in the heads?
mine was fun in cold starts, starts up on the second crank haha. n then runs like shit so i let it idle for a bit.
new engine soon so hopefully that fixes it :)[/QUOTE]

no crack, just some moisture has gotten into the vicinity of the coolant temp sensor - hence why this issue has popped up.

mine's exactly the same. the spark is retarded by a seemingly insanely rich AFR to begin with, but once the engine begins to reach operating temperature (which is usually induced by opening the throttle right up, hence slightly leaning the AFR - which in effect increases CHT and EGT respectively), all is fine - and the car drives nicely.

plus, no harm done running a turbocharged car just a bit rich is there now ;)