Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Which swaybars should I fit to my car?
22mm rear, leave the front standard 3 8.33%
20mm front, 22mm rear 4 11.11%
22mm front and rear 1 2.78%
22mm front, 24mm rear 19 52.78%
Don't bother. You drive like my grandma. 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level
Default Spoiled for choice .. which whiteline gear to get?

Hi all, just after a bit of advice on Whiteline gear. I've searched the forum and read every topic on the subject, but I wanted to make sure I was getting the right parts for my needs.

I have an unmodified MY99 which is my daily runabout. I've had the car over 11 years now and I want to give it a bit of a refresh. I've just added a front strut brace, and I have a rear strut brace and an H-brace on the way - all of which are supposed to stiffen up the GC8 a bit.

After those are done I want to upgrade the sway bars, and Whiteline seems to be the go. I was thinking 22mm front and rear, both adjustable, although everything I've read seems to indicate you want the rear end stiffer than the front?

Would I be better off looking at 22mm rear and 20mm on the front, 24mm rear and 22mm on the front, or both 22mm with the front adjusted to soft/medium and the rear on medium/hard?

I ask because the 24mm bar seems a bit extreme for road use. I don't want to turn it into a go-kart. Not going to lower it either, and I don't want to replace the springs etc.

(I'll be getting the alloy links and the rear HD mount kit at the same time as the sway bars. Possibly the ALK as well, although I'm not sold on that yet.)

As for driving style ... I just want to improve the handling and give my pride and joy a new lease of life. I'm not out to race or rally my way into the record books.

Definitely a DIY job, although I may look for someone SOR to do a proper wheel alignment afterwards, since it's probably 10 or 11 years overdue ...
Old 22-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

probably 22/20 setup and use the adjuster to find a spot you like. No point going crazy with h00ge swaybars if it isnt a track pig. Tightening it up will make it a little more twitchy as well. Considering etting some form of adjustable camber eg camber bolts, winding some negative camber into the car really changes the way it handles and can be done quite cheap
Old 22-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Have a look through this thread: http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/24773-handling-gc8.html

Not too long ago some of us fellow gc8 owners did some handling mods...
Strut braces are the best place to start, then sway bars are next From what I've heard etc, anything smaller than 22mm and it won't make much impact...

H-brace makes the car feel awesome. Which one have you ordered? Ultrex? Whiteline?
I can highly recommend having one of these fitted to a GC.

I have a 22mm adj front sway bar, and a 24mm adj rear set to medium. Stiffened it up nicely and induces oversteer a bit more readily...

ALK adds a bit more bumpiness to the ride, and seems to lower the car a bit... you can buy them in different degrees of harshness too.

A good set of springs wont hurt to improve handling.... just ask Damo how he went going from stock to Whiteline springs...
Old 22-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

Yep, read that thread yesterday. Lots of good info.

Already done/doing the strut braces, and the H-brace is on order from Ultrex.

I think I'll leave the ALK for now - just the swaybars and HD links and the mount should make enough of a difference to last me a few years.
Old 22-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

H-brace just arrived. It's the bright blue one so it should stiffen everything up.
Old 22-03-2010, 04:48 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

I have got just a 22mm adjustable rear anti-roll bar on my 2006 WRX. I also fitted the HD mounts and alloy links.

If you handy with a spanner you will have the swap over done in an hour and the difference in handling is huge. For a road going car its perfect...enough of a change to feel the difference and to be able to tip it in to a few corners but you dont lose any ride quality.

If you are doing just the odd trackday at AHG then its all you need really, I just adjust mine to a stiffer setting and it changes the handling enough to have a bit of fun and not just spend my time controlling understeer.
Old 23-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

Could't find the answer to this, but is there overlap between the adjustable bars? E.g. 22mm on hard > 24mm on soft? If so that makes the choice a bit easier.

Tags
!gokart, choice, gc8, gear, mods, spoiled, whiteline