Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Boosting 99 forester gt? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/33281-boosting-99-forester-gt.html)

99 FORESTER GT 30-03-2010 10:51 AM

Boosting 99 forester gt?

Got the mods bug, any advice on whether it's worth boosting my Fozzy or not? Pro's and con's. Any recommended brands of boost controller and gauge? Any recommended installers. What amount should i budget. What else can i do to make the car quicker without the missus going crazy! Any advice will be great, cheers fellow members!!

tuna 30-03-2010 10:53 AM

you need neither,

just a power-fc or autronic/motec ecu, then you can 'boost' it safely.

Strubaru 30-03-2010 12:15 PM

1stly get a td04 turbo off a wrx or xt forester, direct bolt on, easy stuff, around $200

your factory ecu will have boost cut at around 11-12 psi, alot of guys over on ozfoz run thier 99 gt's with a td04 turbo with a manual boost controller set to around 10-11 psi, this is the cheapest ($50) way but not the safest imho, get a boost gauge also if you are gonna do this yourself

next option up the expense ladder is to buy a secondharnd unichip 'type a' with boost module, get tim slako at west racing development to install and tune, this gets rid of the boost cut so you can run upto 16psi, cost will be around 2-300 for the unichip & boost module & 550 to install & tune, bear in mind a unichip is only a piggyback ecu

next option is a power fc, costs around $1200 new, & All star garage can tune it for you (not sure on price) this is probly the best way to go if you are going to upgrade the turbo to a vf series later down the track, power fc is a heaps better replacement ecu

for more info go to [url]www.ozfoz.com[/url] there are heaps of guys over there with modded foresters with great info & advice

BXT 30-03-2010 11:25 PM

^^^ What'd I tell ya, the man knows his stuff :rolleyes:

XT43 30-03-2010 11:45 PM

Give me a pm if you want a TD04l off a MY07 XT

BXT 30-03-2010 11:47 PM

Get it, post haste 99 FORESTER GT....will transform your foz.

apg39 31-03-2010 07:45 AM

Foresters are much better than WRXs to modify, lots cheaper & more significant gains for one thing.

I may be biased of course.

Terry.Wrist 31-03-2010 09:35 AM

Jump on ozfoz.com mate, there is a shitload of info.

Stage 1: Rip out resonator, TD04L, 3" turbo back exhaust, manual boost controller, boost gauge. Run 11-12psi, I found my boost cut was 13.5psi (most are ~13psi). I also added a fuel pump when I was at this stage for a bit of piece of mind.

Stage 2: Same as 1 but take off the manual boost controller and add an Apexi Power FC (There are other brands, Link, unichip etc) and fuel pump. You can also add a cold air intake, larger IC or headers at this stage if you want.

Stage 3: Same as two but with the larger IC and a VF turbo with the option of once again adding the cold air intake and headers.

You will see a nice gain over standard with any of these stages

RUSSGT 02-04-2010 11:10 PM

Handling is also good! sway bars and upgraded brake pads is also good!

Like the boys said. [url]www.ozfoz.com[/url]