Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Rough Idle / Backfire when accelerating / Hesitation to go on boost (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/34723-rough-idle-backfire-when-accelerating-hesitation-go-boost.html)

rstasy 01-06-2010 06:39 PM

Rough Idle / Backfire when accelerating / Hesitation to go on boost

Hi.

Don't know what's going on.

The car has been backfiring since this morning and been running pretty rough.

Definately some sort of fuel issue, already cleaned my MAF as I know that the condensation in the mornings (as my car is parked outside) tends to put dew over everything, including my in-guard pod (and subsequently my CAI), which i thought might have led to jerking/backfiring as the water can't be compressed, as well as the MAF being interfered/fouled - and enrichening the mixture (hence the backfire)

Got some contact cleaner and cleaned that out, but the problem wasn't alleviated.

However, I'm now thinking it might just be some dirty or contaminated fuel that is causing this, as my tank is pretty low - and as the condensation in the mornings has probably caused water to form in the tank. Perhaps i'm wrong. If so, I assume i'll just drop the fuel?

Any input would be appreciated

tuna 01-06-2010 06:44 PM

still got standard coilpacks?

rstasy 01-06-2010 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=tuna;459201]still got standard coilpacks?[/QUOTE]

Coil-on Plug, yep.

I just changed the plugs the other week, and inspected the coils. They were in good nick - no visible signs of wear.

It idles fine, it's just when more fuel is delivered when RPM increases- it's really rough and backfires like buggery.

The tank of petrol would have no more than 5L of fuel in it.

tuna 01-06-2010 07:07 PM

i'd call it coil packs, they are renowned for it!

Mister Two 01-06-2010 07:08 PM

Yup. Upgrade to bosch coils or late model my02+ coils.

rstasy 01-06-2010 07:09 PM

I answer my own questions all the time nowadays.

Had 8L of fuel in the tank (max filled up to 37L when I just filled it up at BP with 98 RON) , water had obviously settled due to condensation, to the point where i assume the water to fuel ratio wouldn't have been very nice.

Got the engine to operating temperature, which would have caused the water to evaporate in the cylinders, and then just topped it up to a full tank which would have diluted the water.

I'll check my fuel filter anyway, as that hasn't been replaced in quite some time.

Mods, close.

nicebus 02-06-2010 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=rstasy;459216]I answer my own questions all the time nowadays.

Had 8L of fuel in the tank (max filled up to 37L when I just filled it up at BP with 98 RON) , water had obviously settled due to condensation, to the point where i assume the water to fuel ratio wouldn't have been very nice.

Got the engine to operating temperature, which would have caused the water to evaporate in the cylinders, and then just topped it up to a full tank which would have diluted the water.

I'll check my fuel filter anyway, as that hasn't been replaced in quite some time.

Mods, close.[/QUOTE]

Eh ? . So you solved your problem yeah ?

rstasy 02-06-2010 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=nicebus;459517]Eh ? . So you solved your problem yeah ?[/QUOTE]

yep. contaminated fuel.