Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Track setup bits (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/35245-track-setup-bits.html)

trainwrex 28-06-2010 11:07 AM

Track setup bits

Okay guys thinking of getting the car setup more for track work.

Now what things should i be looking at upgrading if at all?

front and rear sway bars, links, roll centre kit

What about lateral arms and trailing arms? What are the benefits of having aftermarket ones? is it all about having more solid links etc?

Heres what im thinking thus far from whiteline, are there better parts i should be looking at? Would the links change if i get lateral arms etc?

Roll-centre / bump-steer adjust kit KCA313

Swaybar link kit-spherical rod end KLC39

Swaybar 22mm-heavy duty BSF10

Swaybar 24mm-X h/duty Blade adjustable BSR36XZ

Swaybar mount-h/duty kit KBR21-24

Kato 28-06-2010 11:24 AM

Sway bars... just do it. I personally prefer the Cusco items, they just seemed better than the same Whiteline ones.

Roll centre kit may not be needed, it basically allows the suspension geometry to be changed so your rollcenter is not below the ground on an epically lowered vehicle.

trainwrex 28-06-2010 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;465098]Sway bars... just do it. I personally prefer the Cusco items, they just seemed better than the same Whiteline ones.

Roll centre kit may not be needed, it basically allows the suspension geometry to be changed so your rollcenter is not below the ground on an epically lowered vehicle.[/QUOTE]

Hmm yeh not sure about brands and stiffness of the materials used.. I dont want to jump the gun and get links etc which may be useless if i get diffetnt trailing arms etc..

Roll centre kit is apparently adviseable on all lowered cars i thought...

Kato 28-06-2010 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;465100]Roll centre kit is apparently adviseable on all lowered cars i thought...[/QUOTE]

Depends on how low.

It was originally for lowered Evo's as when they were 'slammed' it screwed the handling up.

Most dak daks's don't get that low to push the centre of gravity below the ground... And those that do, don't care about handling but rather the phulleh siq looks.

For the lowish cost, do it and get that extra adjustability in the alignment. Although look around at the other kits available i.e. Zerosports.

Mister Two 28-06-2010 11:56 AM

Check out the Chargespeed rear arms kit. Same as STI with the pilo bearing bushes and spherical links but it has adjustable lateral arms. And they are painted Blue. Matches the rest of your car :)

And what ever swaybars you go, Id recommend equal diameter front and rear with the rears being adjustable. Your car is pretty taily as is, so Id want to neutralise it little. And dial in some more toe-in on the rear wheels.

EXPLICIT 28-06-2010 12:23 PM

As above, sways, upgraded bushings, beefier rear arms and spherical links make it easier to the read the rear of the car as well.

All this will transmit to the quality of tyre your running. Still need to pull your guards.

trainwrex 28-06-2010 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;465115]Check out the Chargespeed rear arms kit. Same as STI with the pilo bearing bushes and spherical links but it has adjustable lateral arms. And they are painted Blue. Matches the rest of your car :)

And what ever swaybars you go, Id recommend equal diameter front and rear with the rears being adjustable. Your car is pretty taily as is, so Id want to neutralise it little. And dial in some more toe-in on the rear wheels.[/QUOTE]

i need to get 22mm front and 24mm rear adjustable.. I cant get any bigger front as it needs to be a NA bar due to the exhaust setup..

are all the lateral arms the same and use the same links?? i.e if i bought cusco rear arms and used whiteline rear links will they mate up??

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;465129]As above, sways, upgraded bushings, beefier rear arms and spherical links make it easier to the read the rear of the car as well.

All this will transmit to the quality of tyre your running. Still need to pull your guards.[/QUOTE]

how do the pink trailing arms compare to say something like cusco, charge speed??

So what ive listed so far is on the right track??

nauli 28-06-2010 12:53 PM

[U]WRX Track Setup 101:[/U]

1. Call John Fowler at Wheels World 9244 2277
2. Refer to 1 above...

EXPLICIT 28-06-2010 01:09 PM

If you can get the pink bits for the right price by all means, they will make a difference. rear control arms with the spherical links are the real deal. Cusco/sti et all will be more than suitable.

Mister Two 28-06-2010 01:14 PM

Contact Selby Swaybars. they can replicate the NA front sway bar in any size you need.

they make swaybars for whiteline so just specify the while line 22mm part number and tell them you want a 24mm version of that part number.

Not all lateral arms are the same. The chargespeed arms kit comes with swaybar links with spherical bushes. The links attach to a bracket which is attached to the hub rather than having the link attach to the arm itself. The arm bushes are pilo bearing but unlike most other aftermarket arms, the pilo bushes have dust seals so the grease inside doesn't get contaminated and therefore don't require maintenance. The links also have dust boots.

STI / Chargespeed Spherical links > Whiteline C-links with poly bushes

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i149/Legacy234/chargespeed/Chargespeedarms.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i149/Legacy234/chargespeed/Chargespeedarms2.jpg[/IMG]