Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 09:57 PM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level
Default How to test thermo fans

Hey guys got the car running again and went for a drive. I noticed that there was some smoke comming from the engine bay when I got back, looked over it and everything was ok and then I noticed it was comming from the radiator.

I noticed that the thermos wernt running even though the car was at running temp (half way on the temp gauge). Revved it for a bit to see if they would kick in and nothing...

disconnected the fans and connected my multimeter and started the car, revved it for a while so it was upto temp and looked at the multimeter and its got nothing. 0.00v-0.01v.

Checked my fuses and they all seem fine.

Now is there a way to hook the fans up so they go constantly just to check the fans arent dead or something?
Old 29-07-2010, 10:05 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

Not sure if you have the standard ecu or not, but if you do, there should be two green test mode connectors under the steering wheel. Connect them and turn the ignition on, that should cycle your radiator fans on and off.

That works for an 06 sti anyway.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:12 PM
STI Master

Theres one big yellow one and 2 greens will try plugging them together cheers.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:16 PM
STI Master

Ok plugged them together and the fans work. So they obviously arent being triggered on for some reason.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

Next place to look would be the temp sensor. Make sure it's plugged in or there isn't a crappy connection somewhere.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:20 PM
STI Master

Where would I find that?
Old 29-07-2010, 10:49 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

The Suby at standard level

If your car hasn't got hotter that it has before then don't suspect anything wrong with your cooling system yet.

Try leaving the car idling for longer. Maybe you just haven't given them enough time to come on. If the gauge gets higher than you've seen it before (even a little) and the fans still haven't come on then turn the engine off because you know you've actually got a problem.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:56 PM
STI Master

I took it for a drive on high boost when i test drove it and gave it a bit of a hiding, there were no thermos then and I havnt seen any on at all tonight except for when I hooked up the test connectors.

My coolant was bubbling a bit and at first i thought I had blown ANOTHER headgasket, but I let the car cool down popped the cap and it wasnt frothing or bubbling when cold, once it got upto half way and I left it for a bit and then took the cap off it was bubbling.
I did some searches and found other people who had the same problem and it turned out there fans wernt coming on and even though the temp gauge wasnt registering it as being excessivly hot there coolant was bubbling like mine.

I pulled the connector off and noticed it was damaged on the loom side (the brown connector had plastic broken off).

Is there a way to have the fans running all the time just so I can test the bubbling theory? If fans are running, temp is down and its still bubbling then I know its most probably a headgasket and I can just go off myself now because we only just got this motor put it.
Old 31-07-2010, 10:13 AM
STI Master

Ok I just did a tk test and it was really wierd. MASS bubbles comming from the resevoir, rev the car and when you back off it bubbles like crazy.

TK test barely changed from blue to green at all. Defeniatly not a yellowy green. Is it possible its just an airleak somewhere and is this common in ej20's?

I'm at the point where if its defeniatly a headgasket I'm just going to pull the motor and do it but the crazy thing is this is a new motor with only 30,000kms on it. The car gets driven on 8psi and barely ever hits boost because my fiance babies it. It makes no sense.

And I still havnt seen the fans click on either so this whole thing is doing my head in lol.

Tags
fans, test, thermo