Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

HSMF at standard level
Default Power FC problem

I have a late 97 My98 wrx, I took my car for a Power fc install last week but was told there was a problem. It connected and started but after a minute the engine stop. Does anyone know if there is a wire problem or Power FC problem? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Put your stock ecu back in so you can at least continue driving your car. Make sure you have the right Power FC for your engine. Yes the shell is a 97/98 but it may have had an engine swap at some point (I know it's usually more of a hassle to swap in a later motor but you never know until you check). Also are you using the standard AFM or upgrading to a Nissan 300ZX type AFM?

The Power FC model # for a 97/98 is 414BF005. If everything checks out correctly then call Allstar Garage and arrange with Sean to take it in when they are next available for an install and tune. Sean is a master of all things Power FC, and local forumer Rossco may also be ab le to shed some more light before you blow your motor up.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Things to think about:

1. Has the installer swapped the cam & crank sensor wires as required by all non-STI wrx's?
2. Has the Power Fc been re-initialized?
3. Has the 30 minute idle learn been performed correctly?
4. Were there any existing issues prior to the instal of the PFC?

Idle learn:

The first step when installing the PowerFC is to let it idle for upto 30 minutes on your car so it adjusts to your engine setup.
This includes turning on the Aircon, Demister and Heater throughout the idle stages so the ECU has time to learn the engine setup and idle levels. \This can be done by doing an "initialize" on the PowerFC.
This will reset all settings back to default (including your tune) and set the PowerFC back to learn mode (for idle only). You should not do this if you have a tune as there is no way to save the tune before it is erased.

If you have datalogit or the FC Pro cable/software you can copy the maps. Preform the initialize and then reupload the maps.

A few people have seen really screwey idle from the Hand Controller itself being plugged in. The workaround is to unplug the Hand Controller and it idle's normally. This is a very strange problem and certinaly not common.
Initial suggestions would lead to an electrical problem somewhere?
If you still stuck with a unstable idle, try the factory ECU and does the idle bug go away? If it is still present it could indicate a mechanical issue with the factory idle control (usually the AAC valve).
You can reset the PowerFC to factory defaults to "re-learn" the idle control from scratch and this seems to fix most idle related issues, such as hunting at idle and also high RPM surge when coming off a gearchange or throttle acceleration.

HTH
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 10-08-2010, 03:04 PM
STI Master

spikey at standard level
Default power fc

97-98 GC8D model you will need to change the cam,crank sensor and fuel pump wire feed.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Ah yep forgot about the fuel pump on the early Gc's.....

4 plug ecu....

The fuel pump relay control pin is terminal 3, on connector B137 .
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

HSMF at standard level

Mine is 3 plug, All star is looking at the problem, thank you for the comment, really hope it is as simple as just a few wires mix up, i just worry if its the problem with the PFC i'll have to get a brand new one...
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have just taken my PFC out of my RS lib. Are there any mods I should be making to suit the standard RS lib ecu?
Car starts but stutters pretty bad when any throttle is applied when out of gear. Haven't road tested it yet.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
STI Master

spikey at standard level
Default power fc

The 4plug GC8A Power Fc does not need any wires changed,only the 3 plug GC8D model need the 3 wires changed over.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
STI Master

spikey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgavin97 View Post
Mine is 3 plug, All star is looking at the problem, thank you for the comment, really hope it is as simple as just a few wires mix up, i just worry if its the problem with the PFC i'll have to get a brand new one...
I have got a 3 plug Power fc computer you can try out if your computer is still a problem.

Tags
fc, power, problem