Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   New Engine ej207 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/36868-new-engine-ej207.html)

Julz 08-09-2010 01:49 PM

New Engine ej207

Ok so the time has come and i want to put a new 207 short block in (currently still a 205) to get all the goodness from forgies, semi closed deck etc.

Currently off the top of my head the engine mods are
VF22 turbo
FMIC
Pod filter
Decapped WRX injectors
Walbro fuel pump
unequal length headers
full 3" exhaust
Heavy duty clutch
Aftermarket FPR

Im aiming for a high reving street/eat v8s kind of machine, probably around the 8500/9000rpm rev limit and 350+ hp

Im putting a new water and oil pump in as the current ones have done 100 000ks, few questions, will the standard subi oil pump/water pump be ok with the engine reving this high? if not, what direction should i look?
Timing belt will also be replaced.

I am still trying to learn about heads, im not sure what exactly to do when it comes to high reving engines, can i still put lumpy 272 cosworth cams in? Are there other cams more suited to high reving?
My feeling tells me its pointless to put lumpy cams in as it will be high reving, so just thought id ask.

Do i need to put double valve springs in for this kind of RPM?
I will get the heads cleaned. Decked if needed, and still thinking about porting 1mm oversize and polishing for more flow, which will entail new valves - what kind of valves are good for high a reving engine? I will be using my original WRX heads.
Bucket over shim? or shim over bucket? cant remember which is better... or do aftermarket springs/valves have their own

Ill also be moving the FPR manifold source to the center of the air manifold before i go and tune for more boost, thanks tuna for the great post on Fuel Preasure Regulators.

Im not sure who im going to send the car to yet, Stecnic or ASG depending on prices they quote me, any heads up would be nice, should be making some phone calls this week.

This is just the start of it, all the other engine mods were done by the last owner so i dont know full details on each part and there are things i am going to change in the future, looking at twin scroll set up, probably a motec ECU, 6spd with DCCD and custom trimmed interior (still designing).

Thanks in advance, sorry if there are any noob questions in there, i do lots of research before i write these things :p

jEstEr? 08-09-2010 02:17 PM

What model car is this?

I think a vf22 or any of the oem twinscroll turbos are going to be useless at 7k let alone 9k. There really is no reason if you are keeping such a small turbo to rev so high. Have a chat to Sean at ASG about his setup, 207 bottom end, JUN cams and springs and a GT35, he revs that to 9k+ has 5xxhp and has run a 10.2 i think 1/4 mile.

A simple clean up of the heads, cams, and a td06/20G and a good 1.5bar of boost should see you to your 350hp quite easily. Have a look at Balistc's car as a good example.

BALISTC 08-09-2010 02:21 PM

What model WRX?

As above, VF22 won't make boost up to those revs you're chasing. Why do you want to rev it to 9k for? You'll reduce the life of the engine significantly.. and you can make enough power with a lower RPM setup to beat all the V8s you want.

If you do want to rev it that high, you'll need a turbo capable of flowing.. as above, GT35R or similar. Cosworth 272s are great, what heads though? Early model you may have to clearance them, late model they'll be fine.

Shimless buckets are your best bet, or shim under bucket.

Talk to Sean @ ASG for his opinion, again as above, he's done exactly what you're looking at doing.

[REXPLOIT] 08-09-2010 02:28 PM

I havent <fully> sussed replacement cams yet, but Kelford quote 350-500h is available on 264's. And upwards of this is 272's. (Without needing to rev as high as you said). With respect to a lot of the other questions, here and rexnet will set you on the good path. She should move along nicely when youre done... ;)

There is too much to answer in one go... But Doug (STechnic), and Sean (ASG) are both highly knowledgable people in this Subaru game.

Brent.
:)

V3 RA 08-09-2010 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;487964]What model car is this?

I think a vf22 or any of the oem twinscroll turbos are going to be useless at 7k let alone 9k. There really is no reason if you are keeping such a small turbo to rev so high. Have a chat to Sean at ASG about his setup, 207 bottom end, JUN cams and springs and a GT35, he revs that to 9k+ has 5xxhp and has run a 10.2 i think 1/4 mile.

A simple clean up of the heads, cams, and a td06/20G and a good 1.5bar of boost should see you to your 350hp quite easily. Have a look at Balistc's car as a good example.[/QUOTE]

this.

Julz 08-09-2010 03:04 PM

ok scratch the high reving if its not needed, thanks for the info, will call Sean and/or Doug tomorrow and get some more info that way :)

its My05 built mid 04, will these heads be ok with larger cams?

BALISTC 08-09-2010 03:18 PM

Heads will be fine, but you're better off getting your hands on some STi heads if you want to go all the way.. some JDM variants had bigger ports which flow a lot more CFM.

mattmy99 08-09-2010 03:57 PM

Option 2:
sell car and buy 05 sti.
6 speed, brembo's, and 207 all inclusive.
Can be picked up for 30ish.
What you've mentioned above is on its way to 15k alone.
Will DEFINITELY be cheaper.

V3 RA 08-09-2010 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=mattmy99;488012]Option 2:
sell car and buy 05 sti.
Will DEFINITELY be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

but way less fun...

edit: i thought he had a GC...matt's idea seems to make more sense now!

RUSSGT 08-09-2010 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=mattmy99;488012]Option 2:
sell car and buy 05 sti.
Will DEFINITELY be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

x2!!!