Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Surge tank questions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/36997-surge-tank-questions.html)

rubberbudgie 13-09-2010 03:10 PM

Surge tank questions

Due to lack of boot space (Nitrous bottle and subwoofer) I'm going to go for an engine bay setup of the surge tank but I have a few questions and upon searching I end up with all sorts of answers so thought it best I just ask here.

I have a twin fuel pump setup currently which appears to feed into one fuel line into the engine bay and then into the fuel system. So If I install the surge tank in the engine bay will I need 2 more fuel pumps after the surge tank to feed to engine?

And is it best to have the fuel return line going back to the surge tank and then another one going back to the main fuel tank or just leave it as is going back to the main tank?

And given the lack of space in the engine bay, what is the smallest size tank I can get away with using?

jEstEr? 13-09-2010 03:17 PM

Just buy the process west kit

Pimpreza 13-09-2010 03:32 PM

Get rid of the doof doof.:rolleyes:

jungleboy 13-09-2010 03:52 PM

You would have to move the whole surge tank and two pumps into the engine bay.

This is my understanding on how the fuel would move around.

Main Tank >> Lift pump(In main tank) >> Surge Tank(Engine Bay) >> Main Fuel Pumps(Engine bay) >> Fuel Rails >> Fuel Pressure Regulator >> Surge Tank >> Overflow back to main tank.

Not sure how common this is, but I would be thinking about additional protection against engine bay fires.

V3 RA 13-09-2010 06:11 PM

[quote=pimpreza;489940]get rid of the doof doof.:rolleyes:[/quote]

+1!

SL33P3R 13-09-2010 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;489934]Just buy the process west kit[/QUOTE]

+1

you don't need 2 fuel pumps, it goes into 1 line anyway.
1 Bosch 044 pump will work fine.

rubberbudgie 13-09-2010 08:05 PM

Well I would buy the process west one except that I need it for Collie and getting it here and fitted by Friday just isn't going to happen as nobody seems to keep stock locally.

So I've bought a 3 litre surge tank from the grumpy old farts at Go-Gear, and have ordered in a Walbro fuel pump which will be here tomorrow. Then it's just a matter of getting the speed-flow braided lines sorted and then fitting it all.

Am going to put the tank and pumps into the boot right behind the seat, and relocate the nitrous bottle as well as put the other nitrous bottle on either side of the subwoofer. If need be the subwoofer can go but if I can keep it there then all the better.

Does anyone know of anyone else apart from Go-Gear that sell Speedflow stuff?

98wrxevo2 13-09-2010 08:53 PM

Speedflow fittings

You could go and see Pete Major at Pro Race, they sell a product that is similar to Speedflow but may be cheaper.

Pimpreza 13-09-2010 10:59 PM

Probably worth upgrading the wiring to the pumps at the same time, apparently it can make a big difference and actually recommended by the Walbro pump supplier I contacted in the states last week.
I can get the 255 lph in line external Walbro with mounts and fittings landed for about US$120 ea but need 10 orders for that price, apparently much quieter than the Bosch too.

dnbosiris 20-04-2015 11:14 AM

Bumping an old thread
I've noticed I get fuel surge in my bugeye with anything less than half a tank. When i pin it on a right hander i get sudden loss of power then a pop then everything is back to normal. really annoying and i'm sure it can't be good for the internals.

are there any solutions cheaper than $1200 for a PW anti surge kit? what are my options.
Cheers