Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Drum to disc brake conversion q's (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/37396-drum-disc-brake-conversion-qs.html)

Patch 01-10-2010 05:06 PM

Drum to disc brake conversion q's

I'm thinking about getting the drums on the back of my GX swapped over to discs, and upgrading the fronts.. probably a 4 pot set-up up front and 2 pot rear set up. Has anyone got any idea what parts I'll need to do this aside from the obvious calipers, rotors, pads, etc? I want to try and source as many parts myself so things aren't as costly.

tuna 02-10-2010 07:18 AM

get the whole hub assembly and handbrake cables.

Patch 02-10-2010 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=tuna;496433]get the whole hub assembly and handbrake cables.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea about the handbrake cables.. cheers for that!

Mister Two 02-10-2010 01:57 PM

unless you are doing regular track work (which I doubt in a GX)...

I'd just go to the WRX single pot sliding caliper rear hubs. Even then, the sliding single pot calipers and discs are perfectly capable of hitting the track with half decent pads.

WhiteRX 02-10-2010 02:05 PM

as said above, i would even leave the rear drums. I did a fair few track days in my old RX, and the brakes never had any problems what so ever, and the car did hit some good speeds.

Patch 02-10-2010 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX;496492]as said above, i would even leave the rear drums. I did a fair few track days in my old RX, and the brakes never had any problems what so ever, and the car did hit some good speeds.[/QUOTE]

Problem is I've just found a set of 4 pots, so I highly doubt drums on the rear will be well balanced...

No track work is planned for a while, but it could well be on the cards in a few years. I just want to get this done right first go. No use getting one brake kit then upgrading then upgrading again, you know?

tiddy 02-10-2010 02:09 PM

Just buy a gc8. Everythings done

Patch 02-10-2010 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=tiddy;496495]Just buy a gc8. Everythings done[/QUOTE]

Reckon I should have... oh well. Not going through the hassle of selling this one & buying a new one. Put too much work into it already :P

tuna 02-10-2010 02:22 PM

nothing wrong with being committed, but yes, just get a complete set of hubs with the handbrake cables and brake lines attached, take a few bottles of brake fluid and it should take an afternoon on jackstands to swap over. easiest would be to get some rear brakes of any awd liberty (they all came with discs), the handbrake cables are a little longer, but will still fit adequatley.

Patch 02-10-2010 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=tuna;496500]nothing wrong with being committed, but yes, just get a complete set of hubs with the handbrake cables and brake lines attached, take a few bottles of brake fluid and it should take an afternoon on jackstands to swap over. easiest would be to get some rear brakes of any awd liberty (they all came with discs), the handbrake cables are a little longer, but will still fit adequatley.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. I'll probably see if anyone is wrecking a B4 & grab the rear set-up off them. Thanks for your help!