Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-2006, 11:01 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level
Default 6 Speed Gearbox Upgrade

I heard the 6 speed gearbox had an upgrade incorporated from the MY05 STI onwards to address some design weakness. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 14-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

How can you make something that is unbreakable more unbreakable rofl.

Gearbox is the only thing in my car that never gives any problems.... it just breaks other things... like driveshaft bolts, axle, axle shoes, cv's..
Old 14-02-2006, 01:08 PM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

Some versions of the MY05+ boxes have gone back to using a 1.1 drop gear which is mated to a 3.54 rear diff. Apparently this is done for reliability reasons as it slows down the tailshaft.

There is also a different variant centre diff which is used in some MY06 boxes.
Old 14-02-2006, 05:52 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Excellent, this means they will slot into the GC8's with out the need for a rear diff change. Keeping the reliability of the 3.54 diffs.
Old 15-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR666
How can you make something that is unbreakable more unbreakable rofl.
EVERYTHING mechanical is breakable dude, just depends how hard its pushed, stress on any mechanical component will eventually cause it to fail.

Ask Ramon, I'm pretty sure he was at the plex' the same night I was a few years back when a guy had just had a brand new hollinger box fitted that week and blew it to pieces, cogs out the bottom of the car and all!! And that's supposedly an unbreakable box with a world class reputation!

Josh

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me
Old 15-02-2006, 09:36 PM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

Dude, we're talking about 6 speed gearsets and not some clown who paid for a Hollinger gearset but got something completely different.

To date, to the best of my knowledge, no one has broken a 6 speed gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY REXTC
EVERYTHING mechanical is breakable dude, just depends how hard its pushed, stress on any mechanical component will eventually cause it to fail.

Ask Ramon, I'm pretty sure he was at the plex' the same night I was a few years back when a guy had just had a brand new hollinger box fitted that week and blew it to pieces, cogs out the bottom of the car and all!! And that's supposedly an unbreakable box with a world class reputation!

Josh
Old 15-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Wet & Messy

slugwrx at standard level

i believe grundy popped a 6 spd in his 2.5l my98 wrx awhile back ? (old 'wrx255')
Old 16-02-2006, 08:07 AM
WRXRW

what a race! limited ed 95 boosted on 30+psi with a big gaz internal gated turbo, "prodrive" gearset vs [WRX 2555] bombed 2.5 with a T66 and all the fruit inculding the talked about gearset...they stage, they launch, its neck and neck, they change into 3nd gear and then BOOOOOOOM. 2nd input and 3rd out the side of the case in a sea of dead smurf oil all over the track!

the gearbox was not a holinger, despite the owner claiming it was on the nite and in print (from a few magazine articles in hot4's and psc) infact, it was a ppg "experimental" (aka one that blows out the side of the gear case) set. i called/emailed both companies about this as i was really concerned because i just ordered my own holinger gear set a few weeks prior. the life members of the group might recall the postings about this exact subject on yahoo including all forwarded documents between myself and these gear manufactures...it was quite amusing, if not alarming!

thenholingers only weakness comes from the last std part left in the case, the std shift rails and theres nothing you can do about this. its the dreaded 2nd to 3rd flat-shift across the H that gets u every time, if not forks, your killing dogs or rails! well, you could use the clutch to stop all this carnage, but im not a member of greenpeace, so hunt down all the seals and ill keep flat-shifting.

It's all about a certain thing animal and tree huggers call, (mechanical)sympathy...not likely!
Old 16-02-2006, 08:47 AM
WRXRW

i would like to ramble on (good led zep song too) for a few minutes if i may..

nothing sparks me up more than a good gearbox 'debate'. its like a game between sporting giants, each with good players and loyal fans! i recall at new years eve having a casual conversation with darren windus. for those living under a rock, or smoking rock, he pedals an ex prodrive built, ex ex twice removed group a group bcdefghi all the way to n, privateer rally car with our very own [BLUWRX].... so i have total respect for the man and his opinions, but then he starts on gearboxes....well! its like a one day cricket match. both teams want to bat first, set a big target, let the looser team have the run chase, so anyway he went into bat for frank (modena) and i of course, went into bat for peter (holinger). it begins, frank's is better, i disagree, peter's stuff is much better...so this goes on for a fair while with a few more gentleman jacks being consumed.....im using pete's name like i know the man personally, darren has one up me on this(3rd umpire perhaps?), by actually knowing frank...but I play the friendship bias card about here.....so that's 6 for me!

You have to understand, again for rock livers and rock smokers, that rally really is the most demanding test on componets in any form of motorsport. all those repeated shock loads in just one stage do more damage to driveline/suspension componets than years worth of driving on the road 'spirited' with the odd weekend warrior motorsport duties thrown in. So when a person like darren says things from experience, you listen.....but then you go, yeah yeah whatever daz....my team is better!

Aus has four teams in la primera liga, ppg, modena, holinger and albins....division two side par...so let the season begin....batter up!

*btw for those keeping track of the score, it was a drawn match*
Old 16-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

What would you rank those teams in league 1, ie in order of quality.
Obvioulsy hollinger is #1

Tags
gearbox, speed, upgrade