Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   DIY: Changing your dash color for 02+ WRX (Version 1) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/382-diy-changing-your-dash-color-02-wrx-version-1-a.html)

alcw 21-07-2005 05:42 PM

DIY: Changing your dash color for 02+ WRX (Version 1)

I was bored and stripped my dash bare and started to mess with everything I see.

So here is something I did.
I sleeve over blue silicon bulb sleeves from Auto One.
With the current green film/tinit in the dash, adding a blue sleeve made my dash glowed "aqua". I did not sleeve all the bulbs, if I did, the other lights will be BLUE, and it is not a good combo, aqua, blue, aqua.. yuck

[IMG]http://alqs.mine.nu/albums/subaru/abq.sized.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://alqs.mine.nu/albums/subaru/abr.sized.jpg[/IMG]
I removed the stock green sleeve from subaru. Turns out ok.

I will try and remove the green film/tinit and if I manage to do so, I will probably stick in a blue tint to see if it glows nicely.

For those who wanna DIY at their free time here are the steps.
However, please be very careful when doing so.
I hold no responsibility for anyone who damage their car.

Cluster

1. lower your steering wheel to the lowest, then look up the dashboard and you should see 2 screws. remove them.

2. Use a bit of force pulling the dash casing out in a downward movement. the casing is secured by 2 push in clips.

3. Once the black casing is out, you may need to unscrew 3 more screws on the meter board itself. Once unscrewed, the meter board can be easily removed.

4. Turn it around and you should see the bulbs. quickly drive to Auto One or any motor electrical stores and buy some bulb sleeves.

It will be MUCH better if you can get the exact size and wattage of the bulb in other color.

5. Sleeve over the silicon sleeves on all bulbs and check you have not missed out any.

6. Replace all parts in the reverse order as described above.

(If you would like to keep some indicators the orignal color, ie: signal, battery light and etc, then dont replace them, its simple)

Aircon Switches

1. open the cup holder and unsecrew the 2 screws. then remove the cup holder totally. then carefully remove the 3 aircon knobs with some force
(if no strength, use a plier with cloth and pull the knob out)
careful with the piler... don't crack the knobs

2. Then try to remove the entire panel (aircon switch casing) that surrounds your stereo deck and the switches. Pull it from the cup holder section.

3. You shall be able to see 4 bulbs behind the casing covered with phillips cross, get a phillips screw driver to unscrew and sleeve them as above.

5. Replace all parts in reverse order.

6. DONE!

Soon I will have a full DIY guide for the entire interior which includes the bulbs at the fog light switches and power window switches.

I'll add instruction pics soon.

DAN682 21-07-2005 07:40 PM

AWESOME POST!!!!

I Will definately do this mod when I get the time and guts :)

aDe 21-07-2005 07:47 PM

Cool man., do it for me lah :P

alcw 21-07-2005 08:49 PM

Sure ade, let me play with ur antilag ya .. :D

I will be heading to my friends shop over at Murray St tomorrow
Apparently he can get me any kind of bulbs (12v)

Im gonna head over there with my cluster, we are going to tear it apart :P
to see if I can get that film off.

Wish me luck.
And ya, I got a spare cluster sti :cool:

DEDLYWEPN 21-07-2005 08:53 PM

Andrew,

Let me know whether you can get the globes, very interested in doing it WITHOUT sleeving. Shop isn't audioart is it?? Leslie??

Josh

alcw 21-07-2005 08:57 PM

Yea, will do.
I just need a magnifyng glass to see the wattage to get it right.

Nope.. Its A Spec :p
He sells all kinds of globes.

alcw 22-07-2005 02:25 PM

Ok, Got the bulbs.
Working fine but very deam.

Anybody tried removing the cluster needles before ?
Im afraid I will break it, Need suggestion :P

wombat 22-07-2005 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=alcw]Ok, Got the bulbs.
Working fine but very deam.

Anybody tried removing the cluster needles before ?
Im afraid I will break it, Need suggestion :P[/QUOTE]

DO NOT touch the needles, if you do you will root the stepper motors and you can pretty much bin the cluster, I bought a bunch of wide beam LEDs from the US and tried this, i can see them working well in the HVAC (i've just been too lazy to do it yet) but even they were still an aqua colour on the main dash :( i gave up, i have been searching for reverse indiglo gauges for the STi cluster to no avail. best i have managed to fine are regular indiglo gauges from darren at technik so i'll probably go these and then use the LEDs in the HVAC etc, should look ok, i'm actually planning on doing all this soon too.

alcw 22-07-2005 02:54 PM

Ok. I found another way..
Sand off the green stuff :P

although its a little hard to reach those hard to reach places.

REXXX 22-07-2005 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=alcw]although its a little hard to reach those hard to reach places.[/QUOTE]
don't ya hate it when hard to reach places are hard to reach! :(
:D