Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Clutch problem? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38455-clutch-problem.html)

BeeFor 13-11-2010 07:31 PM

Clutch problem?

Was driving around today fine and then decided to let my mate have a drive for a little while so he decided to do a bit of a launch start and it seemed like the clutch wasn't fully engaging from the start, into 2nd and only got there eventually when he let the power off in 2nd for a bit, it engaged after that for a bit.

I wasn't quite too sure what was happening but I told him to take it a bit easy on the next time around, obviously he didn't understand the meaning of easy and did the same kinda launch again but this time it stayed unengaged and I had to get a RAC truck to tow it home since it would not move anywhere.

At first it didn't want to go into any gear (at a stand still) and then when it decided to go into gear pushing the clutch in and out was doing nothing, it was revving the same if the clutch was in or out.

Hopefully ill be taking it into STechnic as soon as possible but would anyone have any insight of what the problem may be?
Also I had the clutch replaced around 5 months ago.

AJAYJAY 13-11-2010 07:36 PM

i hope your mate will be paying for the tow truck and repairs

V3 RA 13-11-2010 07:37 PM

i hope he is paying. This is precisely the reason why i don't let anyone bar a select few drive my car (when it is running :p ).

dtrally 13-11-2010 10:22 PM

If the pedal is coming back up to the stopper, ie; not staying on the floor, there is really no simple fix. Either the friction material has completely come off the face of the clutch plate (likely based on your description) or something has broken in the driveline.
Get it towed in, I've a clutch in stock, will do it asap for you.

BeeFor 14-11-2010 01:19 AM

Yeah the pedal is coming all the way back up.

Awesome! I will get it towed in whenever your in next, I've left a message on the phone for whenever you get it.

[QUOTE=dtrally;511723]If the pedal is coming back up to the stopper, ie; not staying on the floor, there is really no simple fix. Either the friction material has completely come off the face of the clutch plate (likely based on your description) or something has broken in the driveline.
Get it towed in, I've a clutch in stock, will do it asap for you.[/QUOTE]

Subafury 17-02-2011 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally;511723]If the pedal is coming back up to the stopper, ie; not staying on the floor, there is really no simple fix. Either the friction material has completely come off the face of the clutch plate (likely based on your description) or something has broken in the driveline.
Get it towed in, I've a clutch in stock, will do it asap for you.[/QUOTE]

Just digging this thread up as my old man has my wrx today and says the clutch is sticking to the floor - have to pull it back with your hand. Sounds like something to do with the clutch fork?
Any help would be appreciated!

johnvk7 17-02-2011 05:13 PM

I would say loss of hydraulic fluid, check the reservoir next to the intercooler drivers side.

Subafury 17-02-2011 09:39 PM

thanks it was pretty low. but after filling still gets stuck down. im gonna try bleeding it as ive read this would help.

Dragon_wrx 17-02-2011 09:45 PM

clutch slave cylinder?

tiddy 17-02-2011 09:55 PM

bleed and adjust.
If you look under the dash theres the master cylinder for the clutch, undo the nut on the shaft and twist the shaft until its adjusted correctly.
Then just tighten the nut to lock it in place.
My Gc8 did the same thing when I put a different clutch in it.