Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   5MT clutch for 6MT box (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/385-5mt-clutch-6mt-box.html)

SIR WRX @ WA 21-07-2005 07:42 PM

5MT clutch for 6MT box

I replaced 5MT WRX box, 4.5kg flywheel and 3200lb springs in MY99 with standard near new 6MT STI package last year (3rd gear in original box broke).

The 6MT clutch seems to be slipping as I get a smell of burnt clutch when I give some stick. I also miss the responsiveness of a light flywheel.

The 6MT is a direct bolt-on to the EJ20. I'm advised that 5MT clutch + flywheel will work in the 6MT provided that the starter motor for 5MT is used.

Can anyone confirm this, or better still, know anyone who has done it?

Cheers

POLARBEAR666 21-07-2005 08:25 PM

I am running my 5 speed light fly and button clutch from my 5 speed in my 6 speed currently. Woomp there it is.

POLARBEAR666 21-07-2005 08:26 PM

Yes you do need to use the 5 speed starter motor. I have my 6 speed clutch and cusco fly and starter lying in wait till this 5 speed setup dies.

flash 22-07-2005 08:27 AM

a 6 speed has a larger clutch than a 5 speed, in my rebirth i will use a exceedy 6 speed lighten billet fly wheel and organic pluck clutch and pressure plate, with a 6speed starter motor attached to a 5 speed box, i was told that the 6 speed has a 30mmm larger clutch.....

spikey 22-07-2005 09:38 AM

clutch

It may be bigger but the factory can't take too much stick.The 5 speed clutch works perfectly well on the 6 speed JT.When do you want to do it?

tuna 22-07-2005 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=flash]a 6 speed has a larger clutch than a 5 speed, in my rebirth i will use a exceedy 6 speed lighten billet fly wheel and organic pluck clutch and pressure plate, with a 6speed starter motor attached to a 5 speed box, i was told that the 6 speed has a 30mmm larger clutch.....[/QUOTE]

yes, i use a 6 speed clutch housing and flywheel assembly in mine aswell,
to suit a 5 speed, a small modification needs to be made to the gearbox as it is slightly larger, you can still use a 5 speed starter, providing its from a pre99 without the reduction drive gearing. (post 99 starters will collide with the clutch housing.

SIR WRX @ WA 23-07-2005 07:47 AM

Okay, just need clarification here...

So a 5 speed clutch kit and flywheel will fit and work in a 6 speed bell housing provided that I use the 5 speed starter motor (as per Polar). The package I have is from the dead 5 speed gbox so they all match and should be no drama fitting. Right?

According to Tuna and Flash, a 6 speed fly and clutch kit will fit a 5 speed bell housing provided that a pre-99 or a 6 speed starter motor is used. What does the "small modification" involved?

When the 6 speed was being fitted in my car, the STI flywheel and clutch that was used was massive compared to the 5 speed but on the road and at the strip, my original set-up performed better.

Spikey, we definitely need to change the clutch before the bottle feed is turned on.

Cheers

flash 24-07-2005 10:29 AM

hence the use of a lighten chrome molly fly wheel, to reduce weight, but a after market clutch to suite, its larger and will hang in there longer without shiting it self.. more bite....