Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Walbro Fuel Pump (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/3879-walbro-fuel-pump.html)

WANTED 20-02-2006 06:50 PM

Walbro Fuel Pump

Hi All

I recently purchased a Walbro Fuel Pump from a Rexnet vendor approx 1 - 2 months ago. I beleive model # GSS342 255 ltr/hr.

Are they meant to be excessively noisy??? When I first got it installed I did notice the pump louder when it primes the lines etc – but after that it was reasonably quiet almost stock.

Now the pump is really loud just a constant hum. You can hear it quite clearly if you have your window down while idling at a set of lights.

The pump was installed by RMS - so im sure i can rule out installation problems.

Any ideas??

Anthony

pmh 20-02-2006 07:02 PM

Aftermarket pumps are generally noisy
My bosch was louder

blackmy03 20-02-2006 07:05 PM

psssttttttttt

WANTED 20-02-2006 07:06 PM

That was a quick reply :)

I understand that aftermarket pumps are noisy - i'm just concerned that the noise has developed after 1 - 2 months time.

Is it possible the pump is not insuluated properly on the metal bracket and is resonating through the bracket making it louder???

Anthony

Miggidy 20-02-2006 09:01 PM

if your worried drop into RMS again and get it checked out. Thats what I would do, if I was worried :D

d_generate 20-02-2006 11:59 PM

I installed a 342 in mine a few weeks ago & there is no noise difference, in fact I can't hear it at all, mine came with what looks like a mini stubby holder (which the standard one doesn't have) that should go around the pump to insulate it, I used that & put a couple of small cable ties around it to stop any poss of vibration & all seems well.

WANTED 21-02-2006 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]d_generate- I installed a 342 in mine a few weeks ago & there is no noise difference, in fact I can't hear it at all, mine came with what looks like a mini stubby holder (which the standard one doesn't have) that should go around the pump to insulate it, I used that & put a couple of small cable ties around it to stop any poss of vibration & all seems well. [/QUOTE]

Any idea were i can source the mini stubby holder?? - Could i possible use some rubber to insulate?? Possible source from Clark Rubber - i assume i would need something that would not break down with constant contact with petrol.

Anthony

blackmy03 21-02-2006 11:04 AM

leave it like it is now man... it sounds cool hehe

Jimmah 21-02-2006 11:30 AM

Never use silicon, i.e. cooler piping connections
that shit breaks down BAD

BALISTC 21-02-2006 12:14 PM

There is only a very small number of products that will go safely inside a fuel tank.

Best thing to do is go and buy a strip of fuel and solvent proof rubber (the stuff they use for decking linings on ships and industrial sites) from Clark Rubber, and wrap that around the fuel pump.