Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Fuel Door Release Cable (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38854-fuel-door-release-cable.html)

RamWRC 03-12-2010 06:02 PM

Fuel Door Release Cable

Hey guys, bought my 98 wrx a few months ago now and has never had the fuel door release work. Only in the last few days have I been bothered to get it fixed. Bought the release cable today and plan on fitting it with a mate tomorrow. Does anyone have any clue on how to fit this thing haha as we are just gonna be guessing, or has anyone fitted one before?

TILLEE 03-12-2010 06:20 PM

Mine doesnt work at all!! so i just use my hand when i get out of the car, don't think its the cable on mine though, i think its just the spring on the inside or something...

Any chance of an explaination on it?

P.S. sorry for posting on here aswell =)

Julian84 03-12-2010 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=TILLEE;517295]Mine doesnt work at all!! so i just use my hand when i get out of the car, don't think its the cable on mine though, i think its just the spring on the inside or something...

Any chance of an explaination on it?

P.S. sorry for posting on here aswell =)[/QUOTE]

Huh?
hehe mines stuffed aswell, i have to put something under the lever and open by hand :P

mARC 03-12-2010 07:14 PM

You may be able to just release the cable at the petrol cap end attach the new cable to one end and pull it through to the drivers side scuff plate (obviously you'd have to remove and release it at the drivers side to pull it through, if you have to apply to much pressure I wouldn't do this as you'll stretch the cable thus defeating the purpose).

Alternately start at the drivers side scuff plate and work your way to the back, removing each inner trim as you go 'both front and rear scuff plates, bottom part of the seat yadda yadda'.

RamWRC 03-12-2010 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=mARC;517312]Alternately start at the drivers side scuff plate and work your way to the back, removing each inner trim as you go 'both front and rear scuff plates, bottom part of the seat yadda yadda'.[/QUOTE]

yeh sounds like a plan..

mine actually doesnt even have the cable there, its just a hole where it should be. doesnt even have the clip on the fuel door itself. ive always had to open it by hand. bought the cable from subaru for about $70 and the clip for around $5. we'll have a crack at it tomorrow and see how it goes haha and will post how it went. cheers

johnvk7 04-12-2010 08:12 AM

Have you all checked that the spring on the flap is there? If you can pull the lever then get out of the car and open the flap by hand, there is obviously nothing wrong with the cable. Its quite common for the release spring on the flap to fall off.

redlib 04-12-2010 08:21 AM

ive done about 3 of them in my time of being a mechanic. There easy as hell. If the original one is missing, run a bit of sturdy but bendy wire up and attach to the new cable then pull it through that way, that's how i've done it a few times.

RamWRC 04-12-2010 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;517375]Have you all checked that the spring on the flap is there? If you can pull the lever then get out of the car and open the flap by hand, there is obviously nothing wrong with the cable. Its quite common for the release spring on the flap to fall off.[/QUOTE]

when i pull the lever, nothing happens at all. the original cable is missing for some unknown reason. and the spring was missing on the flap as well which i have also replaced.

[QUOTE=redlib;517376]ive done about 3 of them in my time of being a mechanic. There easy as hell. If the original one is missing, run a bit of sturdy but bendy wire up and attach to the new cable then pull it through that way, that's how i've done it a few times.[/QUOTE]

yeh sounds like thats the easiest way..

we'll be attempting this in the next few hours lol ill let ya know how it goes

TILLEE 04-12-2010 10:25 AM

on mine i pull the cable and it feels like it works, but the door doesnt open, so maybe it is the spring itself lol, im just being lazy atm and not looking at it =S

johnvk7 04-12-2010 11:18 AM

[QUOTE]on mine i pull the cable and it feels like it works, but the door doesnt open, so maybe it is the spring itself lol, im just being lazy atm and not looking at it =S [/QUOTE]

Sounds like the spring, I should have worded it better. If you pull the cable, and at the same time, someone can pull the flap and it opens, then its probably the spring, easy fix, of course if there's no cable there at all.... :rolleyes: