Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

gazlaz at standard level
Default Flat battery- Brant not reseting??

Hey guys, went away up north for 2.5 weeks and was assured my car would be driven so battery wouldn't go flat and cause issues. Got back today, found $150 RAC battery receipt on my bed and it now has issues.

Have tried resetting it as described in the Brandt PDF posted in another thread to no avail.

What it does:

-No red lights on when not in car/in car
-No red lights when ignition is turned on
-Engine turns but fuel pump doesn't prime when nothing is touched
-Press ANY button on the key pad and the fuel pump primes and the car can be started
-When car is switched off it either flashes *741, no lights or all lights turn on (seems to do these at random but mostly doesn't light up at all)

On one occasion (when i was leaving for my volleyball game) the fuel pump would prime when i pressed any button but when ignition was turned nothing would happen (no starter motor). This happened several times before I was running too late and had to take another car. When I tried it when I got back home it would prime and start at a press of ANY button as mentioned above.

I tried the wake up out of sleep mode where you disconnect battery, turn ignition on and reconnect battery, was able to get all the red lights on, entered my pin code and it flashed *741. I then held down 3 to put it into automatic mode. This process seems to have done nothing.

RAC report said flat battery had a voltage of 10.5V and they also used one of those small batteries in the sockets when changing batteries over. It's an MY02 wrx.

Hopefully some one can help/have suggestions/personal experience?

edit: Forgot to say, car seemed to be in valet mode when i first drove it this arvo so I turned ignition on/off till all uses were used up. Next time i tried to start it was when the fuel pump would prime but engine wouldn't turn.

Last edited by gazlaz; 08-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

You have 2 choices here: take it to a Subaru dealership and get them to diagnose and confirm it needs a new keypad module (which is what it sounds like), if the vehicle car battery goes flat the battery in the module will eventually drain and it will start acting erroneously. Or get the Brant alarm system removed without even trying to get it repaired. That's about it really.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

There is a thread on this somewhere,but in the interest of saving time,try the following reset procedure:

BRANT RESET

• You need two people to do this
• Your car battery must be fully charged and in good shape

(1) Disconnect car battery negative terminal for 5 to 6 minutes
(2) Hold down 0 and # at the same time on the keypad and reconnect the battery whilst still holding down
(3) Release 0 and #
(4) Enter 0 four times on keypad
(5) The keypad is now reset to accept your PIN
Old 08-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

The wake from sleep seemed to work, you got all numbers lit up, then the exit countdown (741*). With the exit countdown on (741*) pressing and holding 3 should change it over to automatic arming.

When you put the car into accessories, is the check engine light on or is the brant displaying the number 0 (or any other number)?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM

gazlaz at standard level

Just tried the process nauli posted and hasn't worked, was there meant to be a confirmation beep or light up when pressing the four 0's cos i didn't get any, though holding # and 0 down both the corresponding columns of numbers lit up.

@ Kato
The check engine light is on when I put the car into accessories and the brant doesn't display anything.

I tried the original reset method again and it seemed to go into valet mode, I used up all 9 ignition turns and now its doing the same thing as it was before my volleyball game. Fuel pump primes when I press a button but when I turn ignition all the way nothing happens.

Leaving the car rest/reset for a bit and will try to start it in an hours time as it seemed to work again when I left it for a while lastnight. Think I'll take the car to Osbourne Park Subaru tomorrow, do I need to book for this kind of thing?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

STEVO at standard level

Same thing happened to me when my battery died on my rex. I called road side assist to come out, replace the battery, and then he tried to reset it to no avail. I then had it towed to a Subaru dealer who also couldnt get it working. In the end, they found root of the problem being one of the modules was cactus. Once that was sorted, all was good for then on in.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

You should call up to make sure they can fit you in. It sounds like, as I stated before, the keypad module battery has failed. Alternately, take it to Wangara, I know there not busy. Be sure to take it to either dealership early in the morning. If they need to replace the module they need to contact Subaru Aus in the eastern states for master codes etc. With daylight savings it needs to be before 2o'clock our time or they're closed.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM

gazlaz at standard level

Thanks guys. How much did it end up costing you stevo? (PM if you want).

Think the alarm has had some problems before and the key pad was replaced by the previous owner. Trying to hunt down the receipt. Hopefully all it needs is a reset =(

Tags
battery, brant, flat, reseting