Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Machining flywheels @ ASG (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/38971-machining-flywheels-%40-asg.html)

apg39 09-12-2010 02:22 PM

Machining flywheels @ ASG

Quick Q for anyone who knows, when a car is taken in to ASG for a clutch change (left for the day) - is the flywheel taken from the car, machined & put back or is a pre-machined flywheel put back in the car while your flywheel is sent off to be machined & installed on another car down the track?

I've heard of workshops doing this before because it takes time to machine & not all workshops can do it on site. Not ragging on ASG but it would explain alot with my driveline issues at the moment if that's the case. I am thinking they may have put a lightened flywheel back in or this other flywheel might not have been machine or had a problem before. Either way it will be going back to them to either replace faulty clutch or replace flywheel/machine properly.

I'm getting loud mechanical rubbing noises rolling on 0% throttle in gear, louder downhill, coasting with the slightest throttle & I can feel the car grabbing & releasing in the driveline, squeal from gearbox when taking off from dead stop & rolling around carpark in 1st & just lately developed the same squeal while stationery in gear & idling.

Previously read about Exeedy's new clutches having one thick spring instead of 2 thinner ones which contributes to the first noise above, but as far as I can see the rest of the noises points to the flywheel. Clutch is no more than 2 thous Kms old.

johnvk7 09-12-2010 02:25 PM

I would take it back and get them to have a look, best bet

American Dave 09-12-2010 02:43 PM

he's in Albany too

Did you ask Sean and Nic ?

Strubaru 09-12-2010 02:44 PM

bit of a mish just for a look though, apg is in albany

did it make all these noises before you changed all your mounts to group n spec?

GTB Liberty 09-12-2010 02:48 PM

I can support that from what I have read online that the new single spring EXEDY clutches are notorious for "noises". The double spring ones are not.

Kato 09-12-2010 02:58 PM

I'd check with them / check you bill. That would let you know what happened. It could well be that nothing is machined/lightened/replaced on your flywheel unless you request it.

apg39 09-12-2010 03:41 PM

Yeah I'm in Albany, thought I'd check if anyone knew here before annoying them. If I can fix it for a small amount I'll just do it, CBF trekking back up there just for a small job.

The first few noises were there prior to Group N mounts but are now louder obviously, squeal on idle is only this week. The first noise is getting unbearable, if I can record it I will. None were there before the clutch either.

I did ask that flywheel be machined, when I asked how much came off they just said 'not much'. From memory the Foz has a non-lightened flywheel & someone had similar issues when a lightened one was installed. May have just been a mistake they put a lightened on in or whatever one they put in has hot spots or not machined flat, wouldn't have know until it was driven on.

mARC 09-12-2010 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=apg39;518663]Quick Q for anyone who knows, when a car is taken in to ASG for a clutch change (left for the day) - is the flywheel taken from the car, machined & put back or is a pre-machined flywheel put back in the car while your flywheel is sent off to be machined & installed on another car down the track?[/QUOTE]

Personally I think you'll find it hard to get a verified answer from anyone on a forum re: this, let alone a mechanical workshop.

Please note I am not making any assumptions based on the OP or post response.

Cheers,

apg39 09-12-2010 08:00 PM

Just thought I'd ask in case anyone knew, didn't want to annoy then by calling & asking a basic question when I'm sure they would be busy.

+ see if anyone else has an idea what it might be. I've been told to drive off in 2nd gear so the clutch slips a little, & lightly push in the clutch while in the higher revs while cruising... lowers the life a litte but meh.

tuna 09-12-2010 08:07 PM

exchanged machined flywheels are commonly installed on clutch replacements, they used to be around $100 supplied, so you would see it on your invoice i expect