Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Sti long motors (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/393-sti-long-motors.html)

207 de 22-07-2005 09:45 AM

Sti long motors

Can someone tell me the differances between a V7 Sti long motor and a V8 Sti Spec C long motor? (other than the 34 to 37, sump and headers) Is there any difference??

Seems you can pick up V7 sti long motors for around 5K these days. I think this includes the turbo, ecu and TMIC?? (which you may or may not need and could sell off)

seems like a good value mod to me..

EXPLICIT 22-07-2005 10:40 AM

Don't believe there's any difference pete!

207 de 22-07-2005 12:11 PM

nice.....bargin then really...

EXPLICIT 22-07-2005 01:32 PM

All being jdm spec of course.

trainwrex 22-07-2005 02:58 PM

[QUOTE]Seems you can pick up V7 sti long motors for around 5K these days. I think this includes the turbo, ecu and TMIC?? (which you may or may not need and could sell off)[/QUOTE]

pete u would prolly find it would be excluding those parts ( turbo, ecu, IC)

tuna 22-07-2005 03:02 PM

manifold TGV deletes are different, also look on the top of the engine casing to determine the piston grades, ie AAAA, ABAB, CCCC etc

overall the engines are the same.

Singsing 22-07-2005 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=atz 242]Can someone tell me the differances between a V7 Sti long motor and a V8 Sti Spec C long motor? (other than the 34 to 37, sump and headers) Is there any difference??

Seems you can pick up V7 sti long motors for around 5K these days. I think this includes the turbo, ecu and TMIC?? (which you may or may not need and could sell off)

seems like a good value mod to me..[/QUOTE]

jdm v7 sti will have the factory forged pistons.
v8 sti will have the hypereutetic pistons

jdm that is. oz delivered cars will have forged pistons.

cams will be different between the v8 spec c vs v7 standard.

as you mentioned, twin scroll turbo and assoc bits with the v8.

207 de 23-07-2005 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]pete u would prolly find it would be excluding those parts ( turbo, ecu, IC)[/QUOTE]

I have seen a 02 sti 6speed plus diffs plus long motor (ie turbo IC ecu) for sale on the old p-wrx for sale section going for 10K :eek: (I was going to TOTALLY max out the credit card!!)

Now thats value!

Also seen a "running" 04 Sti Spec C RA (needs new bonnet, radiator front bumper) going for 32K. Might be able to strip and come out square with some good parts.

Also seen in Unique Cars some time ago an jdm 02 sti (cant be licensed), 17,000km for sale for 14K (already in Aust).

Personally I think this is the way to go. By a non-registerable jdm of your favourite flavour and build your dream car. Sure, It's not the real deal but the essential parts are what you want, ie; engine, driveline and as stace has done, you can go all out and play with suspension and geometry as well.

tuna 23-07-2005 08:50 AM

finally someone catches on :p