Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 02:19 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

6050king at standard level

+1 on a drivetrain noise. I have a LW flywheel in my RX and the only noise I get is in say 4th gear at low speeds trying to accelerate. Does it happen in any gear in particular? I've heard about getting chattering noise in 2nd from a chip tooth. If you can get someone to run it on a hoist and check it with a stethoscope to pin point the noise...
Old 23-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Exedy OEM replacement clutch? They aren't the same as the Subaru OEM ones, known to make weird noises.

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...c=78962&st=180

Dunno if it's the same issue - But I avoided Exedy 'OEM' replacements for some noises they make.
Old 23-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

^ Yeah I wouldn't know for sure until I pull the gearbox off, people are having the same issues with different clutch companies so I'm not convinced it's soley the Exedy problem. Even if it is the clutch springs a heavier flywheel should reduce the noise to a bearable level. I asked for an OEM Exedy because the new tune would lead to slipping but on the invoice it says 'Exedy Sports Tuff Organic'...except on the Exedy website there's Sports Tuff HD & a Sports Organic...No Sports Tuff Organic...

If it turns out the flywheel I've got is a heavier one (doubt it because of the other issues) then I'll just get a replacement clutch.

Will be dropping all driveline fluids when we pull the gearbox too so will rule all those out + check bearings etc. Not convinced at all that it's any of these but at least I'll start fresh.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Scoobie Noobie

31AKE at standard level

My my99 WRX is making this exact same noise and only ever noticed it since having my new clutch installed (Jim Berry). Been trying to diagonose what it is and havent found anything yet. Ive replaced gearbox and diff fluids, no change. Even pulled the clutch back out to see it was a bad spigott or throw out bearing or clutch damaged in anyway and still couldnt find any faults. Was also trying to find a rattle at the same time but couldnt find the problem. Next step would be strip the gearbox etc down and check all bearings and teeth.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

tiddy at standard level

My last exedy clutch did that.
Once i replaced it with the next exedy clutch the noise went away.
I have a lightweight flywheel, clutch was a sports tuff clutch.
The only difference i can see between the two is that the first clutch had dual springs in the friction plate and the second only has single springs.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Yeah I'm fairly certain thats whats going on here, if the flywheel in there at the moment is light I'll get a heavier one & see how it goes...or half tempted to pony up for a new one & do the swap myself.
Old 17-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level

Sorry to res this thread from Feb, but i had a new HD clutch installed last month and am experiencing very similar issues as you apg. The mechanics at work took it for a drive today and confirm the issue was present in 1st through 4th on 0 throttle. They suggested it seems to be some form of vibration in the box/flywheel, but they are going to check with the company that replaced my synchro to see if they replaced or machined the flywheel when they installed the clutch.

Did you ever get a result from this apg? if so what was the fix?

The clutch i got was the "RPM kit: RPM1911N" from http://ciperformance.com.au/product_catalogue/
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Scoobie Noobie

chicane at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99GT View Post

Hi MY99GT,

I have exactly the same problem that you have mentioned and the replacement clutch is of the same model too. What was your findings/outcome?

Cheers
Chicane
Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

RedMY01Owen at standard level

My clutch has also started to make this noise since being replaced with an Exedy stage 1 racing clutch (organic plate) by Evolution R. I had the stock STI flywheel machined and re-used. What were the outcomes for everyone else?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

I also get a chatter when I decelerate in my car the clutch/flywheel, its a common problem with the WRX with a HD clutch/flywheel due to the lower rotating mass.

Not harmful in anyway if this is the problem:
"This is a common problem, but technically not a problem at all. It's just a matter of inconsistent factory backlash in the ring-and-pinion gear. Some models do it more than others.

You can fix the problem, but not with performance in mind. You can replace the factory flywheel with a heavier model to keep the gearbox loaded, thus eliminating a decelerating noise.

Going the opposite direction with the flywheel weight will usually get rid of the noise, however the lighter flywheel will be noticeable in how quickly the car finds its powerband. Suggestion: Get over the noise. It's not a big deal, and certainly not worth compromising power."

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 04-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Tags
drivetrain, noisesolved, rubbing or grinding